Lazy Gardener's Little Town Farm

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
SSS has happened before. :D Once had a skunk in the trap...that was touchy...worked out OK.

Bobcats are about the largest "cat" around, and not many. There are a few black bears that wander on occasion. So far, never right here. But, I'm only 20-25 miles as a crow flies, from the Great Dismal Swamp. It's home to a lot of black bear.

Hmmm -- maybe a "lost" cat will wander in and stay?? I had a feral do that 20 yrs ago, as an adult. Sadly, he just passed away at 20+ yrs of age. Now, a mom kitty and 3 five mo old kittens are my rodent crew. :)

Guess I can save the postage on the possum! :hide

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Today, Hubby helped/supervised while I did the Shou Sugi Ban treatment on the cedar and yellow pine for raised bed frame work. No explosions today! I did not feel comfortable lighting that torch, so he stood by to provide an extra set of hands, douse the flames when they got too aggressive. Every time we re-started the torch, he'd man the controls while I did the fire starter. I was impressed with the final look of the cedar. Yellow pine didn't take the flame quite as well b/c of the variation in the grain. Then, I took an old steel brush, and brushed the char off the wood. Tomorrow, I hope to wipe the rest of the ash off, then give everything a coat of stain. Then... put the frames together, dig and level the area, set frames, and back fill. A LOT of work. But, it's my hope that the end result will provide a garden that is much easier to maintain.

Cooked a turkey with lots of veggies, made an apple crisp for supper.

Chickens continue to work over the garden. They are showing me that there are a LOT of potatoes left to be dug. I think this is my best potato season ever.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Plan to use air compressor to blow the remaining char off the RB framing material. Then, stain it. Hope to be able to pre-assemble the 4 sides of 3 RB before the end of the day.

I set the cooked turkey out to cool on the deck last night. Before going out to work today, I intend to pick the carcass, vac seal and freeze the meat in portions that can be reasonably be used up before spoiling. Cook the carcass down a bit: soup and bone broth. Will take some of that bone broth to DD who has been asking about "how to make it".

I pulled a tick off Hubby this morning. Thankfully, it was not deeply embedded, nor engorged. It appears that it did not leave any body parts behind. I HATE ticks.

Squirrels screaming up a storm in the woods this morning. An invader in the neighborhood, for sure!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am saving soda cans to make a big solar dehydrator. My garden was a loss this year so I wasn't motivated to get it done. I have plans to finish it this winter - if I can get my DH's shop cleaned out enough to have room to work...

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would also like to make a rocket stove. It's been on my "to do" list for quite a while, but... the must do's always seem to get in the way of the "wanna do's".

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Today, Hubby and I got a load of finished compost from the transfer station. It needs to be sifted, but it's black gold! Need to go back later to get some pine needles and dry leaves for the chicken coop. There is also some nice wood chips just begging to come home with me. Next week will be my prime week to go pick up leaves from a near by town for winter coop/run litter.

Latest posts