Lazy Gardener's Little Town Farm

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have no choice. Strangers are about all that ring the door bell. They usually leave money in my pocket and take poultry with them.
I have the same issue. Strangers coming to my door for eggs. And, I'll not have the discussion with them about what to do if a No trespass sign shows up in my yard, b/c I don't want to even discuss my standing re: that stupid stuff. So, hubby and I have decided that we will not post, but will simply smile, say good by, and shut the door.

BTW, @R2elk : I had some suspicious seedlings sprout a couple weeks ago. One in a "winter seeding" milk jug that I planted your cherry seeds in April, and a couple of "same type of plant" seedlings in a couple cups. Of course, I didn't label the cups, so I don't know if I may have stuck some of your cherry seeds in those cups. They are definitely of a "tree species, new leaves are redish, and all leaves are long and very pointed. What was the variety again? I'll try to get a pic up for you, or if you have a pic of new leaves, would you mind posting? I'm super excited to think that I may have some cherry plants that will grow here, even if they are not the best eating.

So, last night's mouse count: 4! 2 in the Rinne FlipN'Slide mouse trap. I'm super impressed with that. One in a standard snap trap, and one in a plastic "no touch" Victor Power-Kill rat trap. I'm also super impressed with that. Seein' as how it was sensitive enough to snap on a mouse! I also had one more mouse in the snap trap before supper last night. So... it's "game on"!!!! Hoping I can get hubby to rise to the challenge of making a couple of bucket trap lids for me later this week.

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My elderberry is putting on quite a show this year! And, even the new sprout is blooming. AAAANNNNNDDDD, there is a tiny little shoot coming up fairly close. I may try to dig that one and transplant to a new location. Perhaps even pot it, but bury the pot in the garden so it can get some TLC the remainder of the season.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BTW, @R2elk : I had some suspicious seedlings sprout a couple weeks ago. One in a "winter seeding" milk jug that I planted your cherry seeds in April, and a couple of "same type of plant" seedlings in a couple cups. Of course, I didn't label the cups, so I don't know if I may have stuck some of your cherry seeds in those cups. They are definitely of a "tree species, new leaves are redish, and all leaves are long and very pointed. What was the variety again? I'll try to get a pic up for you, or if you have a pic of new leaves, would you mind posting? I'm super excited to think that I may have some cherry plants that will grow here, even if they are not the best eating.
Post pics. I should be able to tell if they are cherry trees.

The leaves should be oval and serrated edges.

The seeds were from Evans Bali cherries. They can also be known as Evans or Bali. They are a sour cherry and can be used to make excellent pies and to die for cherry jam.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Post pics. I should be able to tell if they are cherry trees.

The leaves should be oval and serrated edges.

The seeds were from Evans Bali cherries. They can also be known as Evans or Bali. They are a sour cherry and can be used to make excellent pies and to die for cherry jam.
Thanks for the descriptor. These leaves are long, pointed, serrated edge. So, I've been duped into nurturing weed trees! I've seen some similar seedlings in the yard. Yet more confirmation that they are impostors!