Lazy Gardener's Little Town Farm

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Saving eggs, in anticipation of the flock stopping production for the winter months. In the past, I've given them a light which I start in early Nov to get production back up so I don't have to buy eggs. I've not bought an egg since starting this flock in 2012. About 9 dz. in fridge, with an other dz. set aside for freezing. I'm hoping that by having a nice long shut down period, someone... anyone... will decide to go broody in the spring. With molt in full swing, egg production down, and flock having access to the garden for clean up detail, feed consumption has decreased by about 50%.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't use lights. The first year layers will supply eggs & olders are off duty until "?" although a few will lay randomly. Since I rarely eat eggs, it just isn't an issue -- except continual feed. :D My customers just have to "work thru it". :lol:

Once I finally retire, I may be more inclined to consider lights as I will want to increase & keep the customer base. Current ones are "trained" to buy eggs for anything other than fresh eating. :clap

I'm sure you know that some breeds are more inclined to lay in winter than others. White Rock & Barred Rocks have done better in that category for me. These 7 new pullets are WR, although 2 are some type of X as they have some tan feathers here & there. I will get more of these 2 breeds in early Spring...both are also very docile & good foragers with pleasant coop habits. Also, I've never had one become an egg eater. My RRs & some of the Marans have in the past. The EEs, no complaints from me with those I've hatched here.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You are further south than me, thus... more hours/minutes of daylight in the winter. The first winter, I had one EE who gave me 2 - 3 eggs/week, while the rest clamped shut for the winter. "They say" that first year layers will lay all winter w/o supplemental light. That has not been the case for me, at my lattitude. There is also a bit of variation in winter laying based on when the pullet reaches POL in relation to summer and winter solstice. I have some BR, and they are no more prone to winter laying than any of my other breeds have been! I LOVE my EE, and plan to pick up some chicks in the spring, unless I get a broody. In that case, I'll hatch a bunch of blue/green eggs, and breed my own!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep --didn't even consider, further North affects the light hours. Move South!! :lol:

You all up North have a few variances we don't...frozen stuff, for one. :th Staying here, says this old southern gal :old

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
And, you all have stuff we don't have to deal with: black snakes, poisonous snakes, possums (they are VERY rare here!) I wouldn't be able to tolerate your summer heat. ? Tornadoes? Stayin' here, says this ol' Northern gal! Sure would love to visit the lovely state of Va. though!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sure would love to visit the lovely state of Va. though!

Come one down! It's a pretty state with seashore and mountainous terrain within a few hour drive. Lots of green. :D My area is seasonal but, moderately so, Our seasons are very much here, just not extreme most years. Heat can be rough mid or late summer. Guess that's why we have all those beach tourists. :lol: When I was a teen I thought those beaches were excellent....:old Been here 68 yrs now. Born in WV. Dad was Navy. If you are Navy, hard to NOT be sent to Norfolk.:D

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No thanks. He'd probably chew through the box before he got here, then... what would the USPS do with that???? I keep telling hubby that our yard needs a cat. Our dog needs a cat. I WANT a cat! Perhaps if I told him you were sending me a pet possum, he'd see a cat as the lesser of 2 evils! ;) I've only seen one possum here in Maine, EVER! But, hunters assure me that they are present. I find their toothy grin to be a bit disconcerting. Have seen plenty of them, as road pancakes in Florida! We also have Mountain Lions, though our state wild life folks say 'tain't so. A friend who lives less than a mile away showed us a video of one that was hanging out around his pond. And an other friend within 2 miles had a face to face encounter with one about 10 years ago.

Shouldn't be hard to catch your varmint. I hear they are dumber than a bag of nails. But, if he were in my live trap, I'd make sure he didn't come out of it alive, and I'd have the hole dug the same night I set the trap!

Last edited: