Lazy Gardener's Little Town Farm

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That is wonderful. So awesome of them to pitch in and get your birds slaughtered. That is a job and having it done has to be a big relief for you.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hubby and I continue to work on the duck house. Slow going. But... progress being made. I predict it to be finished with about 8 more hours labor. Ducks have been laying @ 100 - 125% the last few days. Several rubber eggs. Had one of the cockerels for supper last night. He was very tasty. I am dragging from physical and emotional load of managing Dad's hospice care. Tick population is higher than I've ever seen. Dog is spending a lot of time in range that she has not had access to before: tall grass/weeds. I'm pulling avg. of 2 ticks/day off her. I hate to use a PO med on her, but may do so to get her through the next couple months. Could do Ivermectin pour on, but hesitate to do so, b/c I'm not sure that her heinz 57 breeding does not make her susceptible to poisoning from it.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm oh so very thankful: For a beautiful, short sleeve November day. For hubby's help. For the opportunity to hop into the truck and take a drive to a neighboring town, to meet some friendly strangers, as we gathered a year's worth of free bedding for ducks, chickens, and garden. Leaves, glorious leaves! 48 glorious bags full of dry, crunchy, fragrant leaves, all raked, and packaged, free for the taking, with conversation and smiles from the donors!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad you could get a little while "away".....with DH and good weather.

Score on the leaves.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Agreed. I look for those little blessings, and find them in every day. It can be the smallest of delights: watching a leaf as it dances it's way from tree branch to the ground. Enjoying the interaction with any of my animals, The smile on my dad's face, when he connects with a moment that brings him pleasure. The sun on my back. The feel of the soil, assessing the yearly improvement of the tilth, as I plant next year's garlic.