Lazy Gardener's Little Town Farm

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Irresponsible dog owners piss me off. :somad They sound like morons.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Are you in an area where there is a dog warden? Do you know the lease laws and laws concerning the dogs running livestock? I would call the dog warden and have the dog picked up if you can catch it. Then they will have to pay for the dog to be released, you have further proof that the dog is harassing livestock...and it is all on record. It will get old for them to have to put out money to go get their animal out, and if it happens too many times, they will not get the animal back, it will be destroyed. I know it seems like a pain in the neck... but having the law on your side is the most important thing. I would not want to kill a dog that doesn't know any better and has stupid owners.... but I will in a heartbeat if it is destroying livestock.
Just make sure you have it documented....witnesses are good too. We had dogs get into our sheep, ran the pregnant ewes into the creek and several died from the stress and exhaustion, as well as the couple they tore up. Had another neighbor that saw the dogs, the sheep were on their property... we were renting it. Our farm insurance covers animals on other property.... if we have the places listed.... for our liability and for any injuries and death that happens to the animals. The owners of the dogs were responsible for the value of the pregnant ewes. The one guy was very apologetic and paid up and the dog was never seen loose again. The other owner tried to deny it, there was a video and the dog was followed back to their house.... they were given a choice by the sherrif of paying or going to court.... they paid. But we had it all documented.
Have never seen the dogs back. One moved. But it has to be done within the letter of the law nowadays because dog owners will sue if they find out the animal was shot with no "PROOF" that it was their animal doing the damage.
That is where the SSS comes in so often now.... SHOOT SHOVEL SHUTUP

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Maggie killed a rat several days ago. Good girl! Today, I took advantage of the aftermath of the wild wind/rain storm we had the last 2 days. The warm weather has melted all the snow, and thawed the ground. So... I was able to dig a massive rock out of the lawn in front of the winter duck house. This allowed me to set the tangs of some cattle panel pieces to make a winter run for them in front of their CP house. Now... to get that rock rolled out of the way before it becomes frozen in place.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I ordered my garden seeds 2 days ago. Lots of the varieties that I wanted were on back order. So... I went to plan B and C for some varieties. This is the first year that I have ever checked the box to allow substitutions. Generally, I figure that I will not spend money on varieties that I don't want. However, knowing what last season was like, I figure that this season will be more of the same, and worse yet. So... I'll take what I can get. Word to the wise: Order early, or do without.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Such a tiny little thing. But... oh what pleasure! I have a pot on my windowsill that I stuck some cuttings and a small rooted rosemary into late last fall. It appears that everything is dead, except for POSSIBLY a couple sage cuttings. Today, I went through the seed stash and added some: basil, parsley, cilantro, and dill.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Such a tiny little thing. But... oh what pleasure! I have a pot on my windowsill that I stuck some cuttings and a small rooted rosemary into late last fall. It appears that everything is dead, except for POSSIBLY a couple sage cuttings. Today, I went through the seed stash and added some: basil, parsley, cilantro, and dill.
So does this mean you have started your 2021 gardening???? 😁

Sometimes it's the little things that bring big pleasure. Hope they sprout and grow well. Little pots of fresh herbs can be the special touch for cooks.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sure, why not? Seeds on order. I've been eyeing my sprouting tower. Time to designate a spot for that. And, I have 2 well sprouted potato chits on the counter that desperately need to be planted . They will make nice house plants. An other Magic Molly that is about 1" long to plant as well. Will be planting onion seeds next month!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I feel like a kid at Christmas. Hubby and I were able to sneak out while Dad had respite care. We went out to lunch, and actually sat down in a restaurant. Shared a platter of fried haddock and onion rings. My big purchases of the day:

I bought an 8" plastic bouncy ball. Plan is to weight one side, float it in a bucket of salt water, and stick some seeds to the top side. The hope is that hungry rodent will jump on the ball, ball will tip him into the bucket of salt water. Bye-Bye rodent.

Next purchase: 10" flower pot with raised drainage well in the bottom. I'll plant my 3 potato starts there. If they grow well, they will yield some tubers for the garden... or at the very least, they will yield a nice house plant.

Finally, a bag of BOSS for sprouting for the birds and to put in a tray feeder on the living room window sill to entertain Dad and his cat.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It sounds like a much needed outing. I am glad that you were able to go out to eat and do a little shopping.