Lazy Gardener's Little Town Farm

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
90* today with intermittent light breeze. It may be my imagination, but: It seems like there are not as many potato bugs as there have been in years past. I wonder if it's b/c of all the poultry litter that I worked into those areas? Every can full of hand picked potato bugs gets tossed over the fence into the duck's kiddy pool. They do a great job bobbing for bugs.

I did some watering, some weeding, planted one more tomato, some onions, flowers, and sage. Spread some grass clippings. I used my first bucket of weed tea. Interestingly enough, I had put some mint into that bucket, and there were NO mosquito larvae, even though that bucket had been sitting long enough to be a mosquito breeding frenzy. Oh what a stench!!!

We went to town compost area and picked up 2 barrels of light, fluffy stable litter. Currently, we can only get 2 barrels at a time b/c there is a toneau cover over the truck. I've used up all of my cardboard, got one barrel of litter spread. Need more cardboard or newspaper before I can do more mulching.

Ticks continue to be an "issue". I'm killing about 4/day. Ducks are getting out into the yard for 2 - 4 hours/day when ever we are home. Chickens were let out yesterday for a couple hours.

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
SNAKES! This warm weather has made the snakes happy. Saw one yesterday, and almost stepped on a huge one tonight, when I was shutting up the chicken coop. I love my snakes, but they are a bit alarming when I almost step on them! Thankfully, no poisonous vipers here!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Most common snake here is Garter. But, we have a bunch of others, all non poisonous. Here's a list of varieties I lifted off the internet:
Here in Maine, we have nine different species of snakes:
  • Common garter snake, the most common and perhaps most recognizable snake.
  • Northern water snake.
  • Red-bellied snake, the smallest snake we have in Maine.
  • Smooth green snake.
  • Milk snake.
  • Brown snake.
  • Ribbon snake.
  • Ring-necked snake.
  • Northern black racer, the largest snake we have in Maine and a state endangered species
I think I've seen all, except for the Milk snake and the Northern Black Racer.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We got some rain last night/this morning. Sweet blessed rain. Not much, but a bit. Temp down just a bit from the scorching of the last week. Running 2 AC 24 hours/day has barely brought house temp down enough to be able to sleep.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My husband saved me from an absolute tragedy/calamity today. We went to TSC to buy dog/cat food. He looked in the bins full of cheeps. One bin had Black Australorpe pullets, marked down to $1 ea. I've never seen discounted chicks here in Maine. But, hubby saved me from a horrible accident. I was able to exit the store w/o putting any cheeps in the car.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My husband saved me from an absolute tragedy/calamity today. We went to TSC to buy dog/cat food. He looked in the bins full of cheeps. One bin had Black Australorpe pullets, marked down to $1 ea. I've never seen discounted chicks here in Maine. But, hubby saved me from a horrible accident. I was able to exit the store w/o putting any cheeps in the car.
That sounds like he caused an accident, they were totally supposed to come home with you! I have been avoiding tsc here because I didn't want to be tempted into bringing home chicks.

Latest posts