LED Light bulbs

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Mackay said:
wait a while. LEDs are coming down in price. I don't think they have hit bottom yet.
I couldn't agree more. I am waiting, and will probably go to LED's myself if I can get some of the others with white light, and convince the hubster. I'd prefer them over the CFL's for sure.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been buying the holiday lights for a few years only after the holiday when they are on clearance or if I get them really good sale wise on Black Friday. I hate paying full price for anything... EVER! :lol: And I put up quite a bit. Of the oldest LED's I haven't had on string fail yet.. while my regulars that look in good shape still need to have new bulbs here and there every year.
I do take care of them.. I put all my lights on these nifty little red plastic light strand holders that I got for .10 each on clearance I bought $3 worth and use them for the light weight extension cords also. I'm hoping that the LED lights last as long if not longer (with less bulb replacements)than the old fashioned ones.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
What is the savings though of switching out from something that works (currently almost everywhere in the house we have CFLs) to the LED's that might save money on the bill but cost more to buy? Is it worth giving away something that I spent a fair chunk on in order to buy something more expensive in order to save money on the electric bill?
:-/
I think that we'll work towards LED's in the house eventually, but right now we've got enough CFL's that are still going strong, even after more than 4 years of mostly regular use.

The thing that worries me is that we have a ceiling fan with a light in our bedroom that takes those skinny candelabra bulbs instead of the standard diameter light bulbs. We found some CFL bulbs that came in the candelabra size, however, the bulb with its thick base and tube was too long to fit inside the globe. I haven't checked to see if anybody has an LED's that match that size/shape, but the CFL's don't work for sure, and now the incandescent bulbs are no longer being made.

We switched out all our christmas lights this year (wanted to do it all at once) when Home Depot ran their trade-in sale. We had some gift cards left over from a few things, and so we spent about $120.00 and got probably more than 800 feet of lights. Our house is so cute now!!!

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
What is the savings though of switching out from something that works (currently almost everywhere in the house we have CFLs) to the LED's that might save money on the bill but cost more to buy? Is it worth giving away something that I spent a fair chunk on in order to buy something more expensive in order to save money on the electric bill?
:-/
I think that we'll work towards LED's in the house eventually, but right now we've got enough CFL's that are still going strong, even after more than 4 years of mostly regular use.

The thing that worries me is that we have a ceiling fan with a light in our bedroom that takes those skinny candelabra bulbs instead of the standard diameter light bulbs. We found some CFL bulbs that came in the candelabra size, however, the bulb with its thick base and tube was too long to fit inside the globe. I haven't checked to see if anybody has an LED's that match that size/shape, but the CFL's don't work for sure, and now the incandescent bulbs are no longer being made.

We switched out all our christmas lights this year (wanted to do it all at once) when Home Depot ran their trade-in sale. We had some gift cards left over from a few things, and so we spent about $120.00 and got probably more than 800 feet of lights. Our house is so cute now!!!
The three pack of LED lights I just got for my ceiling fan ($9.99) were small "flame" shaped bulbs with the small screw base with a "bigger" socket base that came with them for free. So you can use them in the smaller sockets and the bigger sockets. is that what you wanted to know? They also have smaller ones(bulb sized) for night lights.
My daughter wants to steal one of the new ones for her kitchen drop light above her sink I think I am going to get her one for the holidays as she doesn't want to spend the $5 on a light bulb.. it will be a nice surprise.

I am just replacing the CFL as I can afford to here and there.. I still have quite a few CFLs.. Plus I keep about 30 100 watt incandescent bulbs for my brooder pens.. if they outlaw them I'll at least have them for a few more years.. those bulbs are cheap to keep the chickys warm.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
All my CFL's are still doing fine, so I think I'll just wait until they start dying. By then the LED's should be much cheaper.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Probably my biggest reason for starting the switch is my CFL's are starting to hum in some fixtures, so I think they are one their last leg. The savings I figure monthly will pay for the new bulbs in 3 months. I double checked again and the new bulbs are running at 7.5 watts for a three light fixture. Our electrical is very high where we live so it is worth it to me.

Our CFL's were purchased for around 3.00 a three pack on a special buy I believe so I can give them away to someone who can really use them and not feel bad about not using them anymore.

Entropy1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Just checked today at Canadian Tire and Home Depot, cost is about $19 to $26 per bulb!!!!!! I would like to use them in the 3 main lamps we use in the house, but don't think I can justify the cost. Every bulb in the house is a CFL, but these three go most of the day and night, so .... what going from 13w each to about 5w each .... ? Do you think it is worth it?

Entropy

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Mackay said:
wait a while. LEDs are coming down in price. I don't think they have hit bottom yet.
And maybe they'll get that color balance right, too. By which I mean getting it closer to that of a standard incandescent bulb, of the kind we all grew up with.

keenecowboy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I would be a great help if folks would post prices or sales as they come across them. Coupons, sales and promotions from some of the manufactures.
i went to a Phillips web site looking for a 10 dollar off coupon, i never did find it on the site.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You know, in this day and age...if I were exchanging presents...I would want stuff like a pack of LED lightbulbs....or a gift gas card, to feed the daily driver. Useful, necessary things. It sure is expensive to be laid off, unemployed, and somewhat poorer these days. As it is, I don't observe holidays, birthdays or anniversaries as it is. Gave that up back in 88.
Anyhoo..... :pop :caf