LED Light bulbs

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
moxies_chickennuggets said:
You know, in this day and age...if I were exchanging presents...I would want stuff like a pack of LED lightbulbs....or a gift gas card, to feed the daily driver. Useful, necessary things.
This is already what we do. He's getting a new pair of slippers (his are literally falling apart) and new bathroom rugs. Oh, and a new pillow to replace the disgusting one that is all flat and worn out. Not essentials, but things that will get USED. I think I'd be super excited if somebody gave me a pack of LED lightbulbs :p

Degemo

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I haven't used any LED bulbs yet. The prices are too high. From what I understand, the actual diodes are cool, but the circuitry required to run them get extremely hot. Look at a lot of LED bulbs on the market: they have HUGE heatsinks attached to them. Some specifically state that they are not to be placed in enclosed fixtures.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have LED bulbs in most of our fixtures. They have been much cooler than the CFLs were. I like them much better than CFLs as you can get dimmable ones.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Entropy1 said:
Just checked today at Canadian Tire and Home Depot, cost is about $19 to $26 per bulb!!!!!! I would like to use them in the 3 main lamps we use in the house, but don't think I can justify the cost. Every bulb in the house is a CFL, but these three go most of the day and night, so .... what going from 13w each to about 5w each .... ? Do you think it is worth it?

Entropy
You'd be saving 7 watts for each hour the light bulb is on... so it would take ~142 hours to save one KWh... we pay about 9 cents a KWh here... so assuming that you paid $26/bulb it would take ~42022 hours of light time for the bulb to pay for itself, if you left the light on 24 hours a day-7 days a week it would have paid for itself in a little less than 5 years. *

* I take no responsibility for my math skills... it's the one subject I consistently failed in university (calculus) :)

To me (in Canada) the prices for the LED bulbs are just not worth it yet... but I'm sure they will get cheaper.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
You'd be saving 7 watts for each hour the light bulb is on... so it would take ~142 hours to save one KWh... we pay about 9 cents a KWh here... so assuming that you paid $26/bulb it would take ~42022 hours of light time for the bulb to pay for itself, if you left the light on 24 hours a day-7 days a week it would have paid for itself in a little less than 5 years. *

* I take no responsibility for my math skills... it's the one subject I consistently failed in university (calculus) :)

To me (in Canada) the prices for the LED bulbs are just not worth it yet... but I'm sure they will get cheaper.
I understand what you're saying. It's not worth it yet, on a strictly economic analysis. But out here in BC, Canada, regular 100w (and I believe also 60w) incandescent bulbs are off the shelves - by law. My understanding was that this was the case all across the country. Can you still buy them out in New Brunswick? If so, I'm surprised.

And I've read that for the same reason (overall societal energy conservation) the U.S. is phasing out the sale of incandescent household bulbs, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-out_of_incandescent_light_bulbs

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have changed out all our bulbs to LED now and I received a $40.00 rebate check in the mail due to consuming less than our average neighbors consumption (unexpected and awesome!) I have not noticed a lot of heat from them, but none are in enclosed light fixtures. They are noticeably dimmer in the bedrooms now so we used two bulbs where we would have only placed one but at 2.5 watts a piece I don't feel bad. The spotlights were a bit more at 17.00 consuming 10 watts to replace 125 watt bulb, it by far puts out the best light over the regular LED bulbs.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
The spotlights were a bit more at 17.00 consuming 10 watts to replace 125 watt bulb, it by far puts out the best light over the regular LED bulbs.
Do you find anything objectionable (glaring, harsh) about the spotlight effect of these stronger LED bulbs?

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No, I prefer very white light, and they work for us, but my Dad does not like the light they put out (too white, he prefers more yellow light) The spotlights feels more like a incandescent bulb light wise to us.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
hwillm1977 said:

I understand what you're saying. It's not worth it yet, on a strictly economic analysis. But out here in BC, Canada, regular 100w (and I believe also 60w) incandescent bulbs are off the shelves - by law. My understanding was that this was the case all across the country. Can you still buy them out in New Brunswick? If so, I'm surprised.

And I've read that for the same reason (overall societal energy conservation) the U.S. is phasing out the sale of incandescent household bulbs, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-out_of_incandescent_light_bulbs
Reports of the death of the incandescent bulb have been greatly exaggerated ;)

It's actually been reported in our news here in Alberta, as well as at my parent's place in the Okanagan that the incandescent bulb phasing-out has been halted because there are very few recycling facilities in place for the mercury-laden CFL bulbs. They have to provide a safe way to dispose of them before they can phase out the trad bulbs.

So keep looking. Lots available in the dollar stores here, as well as Canuck Tire, Zellers etc., and all the local grocery stores. Saw them in the Okanagan over Christmas as well.

keenecowboy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I just wonder how many of these bulbs are really going to be recycled?

Another great idea of our government at work. They allow big companies to introduce mercury-laden CFL bulbs into the general population. I guess the next step will be to ban those seeking medical attention for being poisoned by mercury. WOW

Now we are going to chg to LED bulbs i wonder what lurks behind this one??????