LED Light bulbs

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
I understand what you're saying. It's not worth it yet, on a strictly economic analysis. But out here in BC, Canada, regular 100w (and I believe also 60w) incandescent bulbs are off the shelves - by law. My understanding was that this was the case all across the country. Can you still buy them out in New Brunswick? If so, I'm surprised.

And I've read that for the same reason (overall societal energy conservation) the U.S. is phasing out the sale of incandescent household bulbs, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-out_of_incandescent_light_bulbs
The Harper government delayed the ban until 2014 because of what moolie said, lack of a good way to dispose of CFL bulbs, BC already had it's own ban on importing the 100 or 75W lights since the beginning of 2011 so I'm guessing that's why you can't buy them out there anymore...

I haven't bought a regular incandescent bulb in a few years. Our power company offered free CFL's for trading in your old lights so we did that a couple years ago... still using those bulbs.

Mentos

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I would really like to install LED lights but prices are still high. Anyone have any idea what is their life span?

brandylorton

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You are going on the right direction dude. The led lights will definitely give you the better out put and the crops will also get benefits from that too. It is the time of the led light now and are giving better results than the sunlight.

Candy

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Home Depot now sells recessed can lighting with LED. They are $39 each. The can comes with the bulb in it.

JanetMage

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Canadian Tire and Home Depot, cost is about $19 to $26 per bulb!!!!!! I would like to use them in the 3 main lamps we use in the house, but don't think I can justify the cost. Every bulb in the house is a CFL, but these three go most of the day and night, so .... what going from 13w each to about 5w each .... ? Do you think it is worth it?

JanetMage

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
LED bulbs in most of our fixtures. They have been much cooler than the CFLs were. I like them much better than CFLs as you can get dimmable ones.

recessed

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Everywhere else--lamps, outside lights, etc.--I use CFLs My light bill is STILL a fortune!

Jesse Chen

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
The advantage of LED lights:
Consume less power. if you replace incandescent or halogen bulbs by LED, you save over 85% electricity cost. If you replace CFL bulbs by LED, you save over 50% electricity cost.

Long life. Usually, lifespan of LED for lighting is over 50,000 hours.

Thanks a lot,
Jesse

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For me, each watt I use translates directly into fuel costs for the generator if I use more power than I get from the sun. Now that I have a larger solar output, we rarely have to run the generator. But incandescents are not an option, and I will never buy one again. I have one on standby for brooding chicks if my ecoglow malfunctions. They are very inefficient, and I'm surprised the ban has been extended.

Lowe's sells LED bulbs in all different brightness and colors/hues now. I like the warm yellowish light like others. We had a cfl that was a bluefish hue and I hated it. I put it in a lamp in the guest room, and it's still there. I will no longer buy cfl bulbs.

Latest posts