Let's bring in some new members!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's a good idea. If you have a journal, there are conversations going on there. For those of us who don't journal, we just gab willy nilly.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I know something I'd like to see, and I'm sure I'm not the only one is a forum just for general conversations. There's no real place to put anything like that.
Hmmm... I guess we don't really have a "Random Ramblings" section here, do we!?!? Shall I add one? Y'all gonna help populate it with good friendly discussions if I do? :D

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Yes, Nifty, please add one. Could we have the same types of RR topics that are permitted on BYC, but have been frowned upon here?

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
but have been frowned upon here?
Which types do you mean? IMO, the only topics that we've had a lot of problems with are religious and political (most of my friends who own forums don't allow the topics at all), but other than that, if the topics remain civil and friendly, I don't see any reason they would be frowned upon.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Yes, please add a RR forum. There are topics I'd like to start, but have no place to really start them. If you post them in your journal, they get lost. And, if you post them in other forums, they don't really fit and not everyone will read them.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Maybe have an area for things like Random Ramblings and book reviews. I'm sure we all have various SS type books that we enjoy and want to be able to recommend. Right now, I'm reading a book called The Gardener's Weather Bible. From what I've read of it so far, it's one I'd recommend to anyone. Some of the things that it suggest are things that I already do just because it makes sense.

ETA: OK, I looked over the sections that we have. And I'd say that Random Ramblings would probably fit in Social, and a Book Review section in the Miscellaneous.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Nifty said:
FarmerJamie said:
but have been frowned upon here?
Which types do you mean? IMO, the only topics that we've had a lot of problems with are religious and political (most of my friends who own forums don't allow the topics at all), but other than that, if the topics remain civil and friendly, I don't see any reason they would be frowned upon.
There ARE a number of threads on BYC which have a political tone to them - current events and government policy decisions in particular, both I believe have an impact here. Some threads death spiral quickly, some actually are civil and entertaining to read as they ebb and flow.

Also, I think there are a wide range in the audience here, from "almost" hard-core preppers to folks who consider it an accomplishment to grow a potted tomato on the patio. There needs to be an attraction point to bring those disparate skills to the community green for a chance for dialogue.

just my two cents....

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
We've been close to banning the topics on BYC and in the rules there we say we "strongly discourage them". We actually tried to allow them here, but we had more problems with them here on a smaller community than we had at BYC with a larger community.

Honestly, we'd LOVE to never have to moderate anything... ever! Unfortunately the nature of the beast is that some peeps come across offensive and others take offense too easily and we're flooded with reports, moderation requests, or "I demand you ban xzy member or delete my account!!" ;)

Maybe we'll give it a try again, but hopefully our members understand our point of view.