Let's come up with 365 recipes for what we can produce

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The next numbered recipe will be #34........I think...... :hide

Way to go Moolie!!! While some of your ingredients aren't readily available here, those are some good recipes and substitutions can be made!!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oops, totally missed numbering them--sorry :hide

Yeah, not everything we cook is local--off the top of my head from what I've posted these ingredients aren't local/can't be grown/produced locally:
Olive oil
Coconut, coconut milk/cream
Citrus fruit & juices
Maple syrup
Soy sauce
Salt, pepper, some of the herbs/spices
Tuna
Rice
Mangoes
Molasses
Cranberries
Salmon
Vanilla

The grain, sugar, and cheeses are local, although they might not be for everyone.

I just had a quick look through my post and I think with substitutions I could pull off most recipes, but if I didn't have access to salt I think that would radically change my cooking--I don't use a lot, but a pinch of salt here and there really brings out flavours. Same with black pepper.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A few soup recipes--my younger daughter loves soup so I've got a beefy veg soup in the crock pot to simmer overnight and it made me remember that I've posted a few soup recipes here before. First up is today's soup:

Beefy Veg Soup (clean out the fridge day)

1 quart beef stock
1 quart tomato juice
(I use the tomato "water" that rises to the top when you make homemade tomato sauce and let it cool before reheating and canning)
1 onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, sliced thin
6 carrots, sliced thin
assorted chopped veggies (clean out your fridge--today I used leftover green beans, turnips and half a tomato)
4 potatoes, cubed
leftover roast beef, 2 slices shredded (use whatever meat you have on hand)

Saut onions and celery, dump into crock pot with rest of ingredients, simmer on high overnight (or all day), let cool to allow flavours to mingle (what I do with most soups really) reheat and serve with crusty bread and butter :drool
Some previous soup recipe posts

moolie said:
A nice soup with leftover chicken and home made broth:

Chicken Bacon Corn Chowder

1/4 lb bacon, cooked, drained and diced
1 onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
3-4 potatoes, cubed
1 quart chicken stock
1 cup frozen corn (could use canned I guess)
1 cup heavy cream or one can evaporated milk (not the sweetened condensed kind)
Rosemary, salt & pepper to taste

Recipe can be doubled (because it will go fast! :))
For anyone who, like us, doesn't buy canned soup--you can substitute a homemade version :

Cream of Chicken Condensed Soup Recipe

Grind: 4 T of any white bean (lima, navy, etc.) to make 5 T bean flour
Combine: 5 T bean flour, 1 c. water , 4 t chicken bouillon into a saucepan
Cook: On stovetop at medium temperature until thick and delicious (whisk frequently).The soup should cook in 3 minutes! (this may be longer if your grinder makes a very coarse flour).

Use this with cooked veggies and or meat for a complete meal. You can also add this to recipes calling for cream of chicken soup cans (I have found this replaces a can plus the water or milk in recipes). We use organic chicken bouillon granules from the natural foods store :)
A few pressure canner soup recipes, but you can just make them fresh if you don't want to can them :)

Tomato Soup

4 quarts chopped tomatoes
3 large onions, chopped
2 cups celery, chopped
3 red bell peppers, chopped
5 carrots, chopped
salt, basil, bay leaf

Cook tomatoes till soft, run through food mill to remove skins and seeds. Cook rest of veggies in just enough water to cover till soft, run through food mill. Combine tomato and veggie pure in pot, season and add bay leaf. Simmer about an hour till thickened, remove bay leaf. Pack into clean hot pint jars, leaving 1/2" headspace, process 20 minutes at 10 lbs pressure (adjust for altitude, I need 12 lbs).
Split Pea Soup with Bacon

1 lb split peas
3 cups water
6 cups chicken broth
1/4 lb thick bacon, cooked and chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced carrots
1/2 tsp dry mustard
salt, pepper
1 cup diced ham

Combine all ingredients except ham and simmer 2 hours until peas are tender, add ham and heat through again. Pack into clean hot pint jars, leaving 1" headspace, and process 75 minutes at 10 lbs pressure (adjust for altitude, I need 12 lbs).
Turkey Veg Soup

2 onions, chopped and sauted
2 quarts turkey stock with meat
1 quart water
4 cups assorted chopped veggies
salt, pepper, herbs to taste (rosemary is nice, parsley is classic)

Add sauted onions to stock and water, simmer till veggies are cooked but not too soft. Can pure half the soup with immersion or regular blender if you wish it creamier OR can add 1 cup yellow split peas while simmering veggies (this will also thicken the soup). Season to taste, pack into clean hot pint jars, leaving 1" headspace, and process 75 minutes at 10 lbs pressure (adjust for altitude, I need 12 lbs)..
Cream of Whatever Soup

3 quarts of veggie or meat stock, no meat
2 cups veggie of choice
2 cups yellow split peas
salt, pepper to taste

Simmer veggies and split peas in broth till soft, pure with immersion or regular blender, add water if too thick (should be eating consistency for creamy soup), season to taste, pack into clean hot pint jars, leaving 1" headspace, and process at 10 lbs pressure (adjust for altitude, I need 12 lbs) for 75 minutes.
Hamburger Veg Soup

1 lb ground beef/bison
2 onions, choppped
2 ribs celery, chopped
2 quarts chopped tomatoes
2 quarts beef broth
4 carrots, chopped
1 cup assorted mixed veg (can be frozen, we like grean beans and corn)
salt, pepper

Saute onions and celery, brown meat and spoon off fat, add tomatoes and broth along with veggies and cook till heated through, season to taste. Pack into clean hot pint jars, leaving 1" headspace, and process 75 minutes at 10 lbs pressure (adjust for altitude, I need 12 lbs).

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Great recipes! Thanks. I dealing with an increase in my son's seizures and trying to get him ready for school next week, but hopefully next week while he's at his 2 morning classes daily, I can devote some time to working with this and get us up to 365. And put together a crockpot cookbook for my sister's wedding in 3 weeks.

Thanks for your patience, and keep the recipes coming!

As far as the ingredients, we could snare a rabbit or "borrow" the neighbor's turkey if need be! Okay, actually, after Thanksgiving last year I bought 4 organic turkeys for $7 each so that's doable, plus turkey and chicken are ALMOST interchangeable. And cow ... soooo hard to give up beef but I heard goatmeat is similar in taste and prep so assume beef is ok too. I'll edit the first post to include those.

We have 3 forty-pound bags of salt from Sam's so I think... I THINK... we have enough salt for our uses, and for pickling and brining. Broke down and bought a big shaker of pepper from Sam's too so since we don't ever use that, that'll be enough for, well, forever.

<ErinElizabeth>

Power Conserver
Reaction score
#42- Cabbage Soup with Cheese:
1/2 lb bacon chopped
1 onion chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1/2 head cabbage, coarsely chopped
2 potatoes, peeled and diced
5 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 tsp dried fine herbs (I use dry Italian Seasoning)
salt and pepper
1 cup shredded swiss cheese
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp dried dill
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
Place all ingredients in pot, bring to a boil and let simmer 1 hour, 30 minutes to 2 hours.

<ErinElizabeth>

Power Conserver
Reaction score
#43- Oriental Salad
1 lb Coleslaw mix (chopped cabbage and carrots)
1 C slivered almonds
1 C sunflower seeds (shelled)
2 bunches green onions chopped
2 pkgs ramen noodles (beef or chicken) Crunched up

Dressing:
3/4 C veg. oil
1/2 C sugar
1/3 C white vinegar
2 seasoning packets from noodles

Mix dressing and chill for about 2 hours. Mix salad ingredients, toss with dressing. You can add dressing at the last minute to preserve crunchy noodles
Can use Splenda 1/2 cup in place of sugar.

<ErinElizabeth>

Power Conserver
Reaction score
#44- Taco Soup
1 - 18 oz can black beans
1 - 15 oz can creamed corn
1 lb hamb. Cooked
1 onion chopped
1 pk. Dry ranch dressing
1 pk. Taco seasoning
1 cup water
2 - 14 oz cans diced tomatoes w/ green chilies
2 - 15 oz cans pinto beans.

Mix all in a pot, simmer till hot.
This is what we are having tonight. Mmmm. :)