Letters from my mom :)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
My mom writes the funniest emails! Just thought I'd share. She is 80 years old, has been married to my dad for 60 years and owns her own business. She is an Antique Show Promoter and has been for 30 years or so. She also had an antique shop in the barn in our back yard where she sold antiques and eggs. She has only one chicken now named "Rose" and a sulcutta tortoise named "Natalie". Natalie lives in the kitchen and is the size of a plate charger and still growing. Rose sleeps in the laundry room at night.

I'll start with the most recent one. (Saturday was her birthday.)

Got your message last night, thanks for thinking about me. Got home about 9:30. Started out at a gathering at Bill M*****'s. Didn't know a soul there. Then we were bussed to the castle here where there were 300 people. Everything was medieval from the movie on the wall to the live music. and all the (town's name) friends. It was a success for the Historical Society who did not put on an Antiques Show this year, so they made some money anyway.

Next is Thanksgiving at Lizzy's. Will miss you guys!
I'm glad Liz will have Christmas at her house too. I'm through with putting up a tree. Maybe candles in the windows, but that's all. That's a relief because we use every flat surface in the house as a desk with computers, papers, telephones, books, maps, mail, check books, show floor plans, contracts etc, etc, etc. I moved my artificial tree out in the yard by the side fence to fill in a gap. Looks nice there.

Love ya,
Mom

"Liz" or "Lizzy" is my sister.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Just got the package and card. Thanks a bunch you all. Nice picture of Sam. Getting so grown up. Love the chestnuts too. To pretty, I'll put them in a decoration. These seem bigger than the ones I use to steal and string necklaces out of in Racine when I was still playing ditch in the back yards all over the block. Time flies...too fast.

Love ya all,
Mom

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Last week Natalie, mom's tortoise hopped the fence while she was outside, she is getting really big! Anyway we were all worried about her.

It's cool and sunny so I've been trimming vines and branches and enjoy my day. Good news too....Natalie is back! Sandy was cutting the grass and she came storming out of the bushes like she was going to attack the lawn mower. ha She doesn't like noise.
Now I'm going back out side with a glass of wine and listen to NPR. Dad is going for his 8 mile bike ride.
Mom

(Sandy is my big brother's nick name.)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
8-mile bike ride! :ep Your parents sound as active as mine--only mine are in their mid-50s only. Cute letters :)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thanks! :D

They are both very active. On top of being a crazy-good tennis player, my mom road her bike 600 miles for peace back in the late 80's. The Pantex Peace Pilgrimage.

Dad is still a huge underwater swimmer and a high dive diver.

I have a big stash of emails from Mom...all of them make me smile. :)

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
good grief! she's more active than I am. I need to start eating like her!

Dont' tell my mom, but I wish she was more like yours! Mine just sits at home, watches tv and complains about ..... well everything.

how fun to have a mom like yours!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
This letter describes the historical society's fund raiser a little better.

Mom just sent me the family "fife" a little flute I loved to play as a kid...

I didn't know you loved the fife. I hope that's what it is.
When I call kitty kitty kitty, (do you know of anyone who calls kitty kitty kitty like we do and Annie did)?. I guess that's where I got it. Anyway, Rose is usually the first one to show up. She eats with the cats.
I couldn't imagine what was in that package you sent when I got it at the post office. It felt so crumbly. So it was a nice surprise.
Tomorrow Liz, Spencer and I are going to the Historical Society's wine and holdovers visit to the Castle fund raiser. Do you remember that Neuman from the Bakery was building a castle on his property off N. Hwy **? It looks like a real castle with a moat and draw bridge etc. Well, Spencer is going as a Viking with horns & Liz & I as castle ladies. I think I'll be Lady Marion, Robin Hood's girl friend. I made head pieces out of wreaths I found at the thrift store and re-decorated them with stuff from my yard plus a few fake flowers from WalMart. Your Father refuses to make a skeptical of himself so he is staying home. Spencer will probably send you some pictures.
The red piece is Lizzie's and the pale colored one is mine. Imagine these on hour heads! ha
Mom

ETA: I should mention "Annie" is my grandma..."Grandma Annie".

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Please don't.

This is the kind of person I am trying to be for my daughter and grandchildren. Happy with life, active, doing wonderful things. My own mom is a perfectionist, the daughter of a socially prominent family, and I am just a teensy bit of an embarrassment. I never "made it", in her eyes. And for that I am eternally grateful !

I have seen the Movie "Twister" probably 20 times. In my mind, I am the aunt who feeds them a steak dinner, and you kinda think she wishes she were chasing tornadoes, too.

I love hearing about your mom.