Letters from my mom :)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
One last letter, then I've got to go.

Mom's computer does strange things to photos etc...

What on earth was that? I didn't send anything but the picture of Spencer & Dad. Strange communication going on. Must be a leprecon making mischief.

Love your garden pictures though. What's going to climb on the black supports? and on the white pyramid?
I never had a large garden like you have. It's going to be fabulous.

I just had a glass of wine and was re-reading This Side of Paradise. Now Dad just arrived from his 11 mile nightly bike ride so I will have to get ready for supper. I got tiny little turnips from Mrs. U***'s garden behind the Flower Shop. She also let me glean the spinach because she wanted to plant tomatoes there now. Things come up sooner in Texas. Dad is making a steamed supper. Would you believe! Carrots, little red potatoes, lots of onions of course, broccoli, cut up swiss chard stems & cauliflower, anything we have in the refrigerator drawer. He usually puts in cabbage, but we are out of that. He like to do that. [Cook every once in a while] But it makes supper so late because he has to have his bike ride first. It's already six thirty.

Then we will eat in front of the TV and watch MSNBC with Kieth Olberman and then Rachel Maddow. They scald Rush Limbaugh & John Hannity every night. Love it! You know Dad has become a Democrat and is enthralled with Obama.

Well have a nice evening...

Love,
Mom

Dad and Mom never agreed in politics, he was always a republican and mom the complete opposite.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I am trying so hard to find the positives with my own mom these days. She's 82, looks 60, and is so demanding I just don't know what I am going to do. It's wonderful to read about your mom's adventures and her younghearted attitude.

I had three messages on my machine today, all within 30 minutes, trying to track me down so I could give my daughter a paper to give a lady at her work who likes animals. She obsesses over things and like that, calls constantly for us to come pick up a piece of gladware that she has of ourse...like daily and then three or four times a day until we come get it. It's SO frustrating.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Now Dad just arrived from his 11 mile nightly bike ride so I will have to get ready for supper.
What?!? Now he's up to 11 miles per night!! He must have been slacking in the last one that referred to 8 miles. :)

You know Dad has become a Democrat and is enthralled with Obama.
Now I REALLY like your dad, too!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
My mom is a great inspriation to me.

I've mentioned this before but during Thanksgiving she rents out the dance hall where she usually puts on her antique shows. (It is a big German-built, round, wooden building.) We all bring our roller skates and we go roller skating for Thanksgiving inside the hall.

Anyone who decides to come to Thanksgiving as far as friends go get put into the "family" portrait. We all love to try to remember whose friends were whose years later.

She has always been ultra laid back and always happy. She can see good in EVERYTHING!

I miss her so much! We talk all the time though. This will be my second Tgiving away from my folks...rough!

This year I think Thanksgiving is going to be at one of my sister's house. :( Not quite as fun, but the price on renting the hall has gone up.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Me&thegals, I think my Dad waivers between 8-11 or so miles per night depending which route he takes. :) It is still a lot for an 80 year old!

He swims probably 4 times per week too. He us usually either at the YMCA or the library on any given day. :)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I don't know if I mentioned that these letters are not in order. As I dig them up I post them. This one came during the summer. Mom has a goldfish in her little pond named Buddy, I forgot about that. Back then Daisy was still alive and she was teaching Natalie her tortoise to come to the sound of a bell...

Hi Sal,

I'm glad Sam is so proud of her garden. It will be a lifelong pleasure for her.
When do you have to be here? Will you fly? It will be so good to see you & Sam if she comes. You can stay here. Stick one of those chickens in your bag too. They're gorgeous but look funny without a comb.
Dad is under the house fixing the TV cable. We have coffee every morning outside (after his 8 mile bike ride) before it gets too hot and have our wine there in the evening after it cools down. The gold fish, Buddy the yard squirrel and the whizzing humming birds keep us enthralled. As soon as we sit down under the umbrella Rose and Daisy appear demanding their crumbs and of course all the cats join the party too. What would we do without our pets and wildlife! I bought a larger bell for Natalie. I want her to get use to it in case she escapes sometime and is too far away to hear the little tinkling bell that gets her so excited when its time to eat. She's so smart.
Have to go to the Historical Society meeting this afternoon. Otherwise its been a lazy day. Still hot.

Love,
Mom

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I can picture that ! What a terrific word picture she paints.

But why did she name her pond Buddy? :hide