Letters from my mom :)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thanks Ladychef2k!

I just found this one about her frizzle chicken named Daisy...

Daisy died yesterday. She just tipped over in the garden...not a scratch on her. Suppose she had a stroke.

Did the pictures of the new cat turn out? Her name is Maxine. Named after Dad's first girlfriend.

Going to the post office now to deposit my checks etc. Only had about 600 attendance. Things are slow all over in the antique world. eBay is the pits...

Love,
Mom

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Did the pictures of the new cat turn out? Her name is Maxine. Named after Dad's first girlfriend.
My goodness---I nearly choked on my tea! For real?!?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
For real! :p That is my mom for ya. Every letter has at least one good quirky "one liner" that will make anyone smile...for whatever reason.

Did I mention she also has a praying mantis that lives in the kitchen on a plant? I forget her name, but it is a good one. Mom has wonderful names for her animals.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
(My big brother Sandy lives with my mom and dad since he had his heat stroke. He has absolutely no short term memory and we sisters love to play tricks on him.)

This is a long one...

Guess what! Our house was struck by lightening last Friday. We thought it had hit a transformer in the street until Dad started to smell smoke. There was a swarm of volunteer firemen here in minutes after we called 911. It took a long time for them to discover where the fire was. They finally located it by feeling the walls to see if they were hot somewhere. They found a hot spot in Sandy's outer wall in his bedroom. upstairs. A huge hole was chopped in the roof above that area and smoke burst out of the opening like the great puffs from the old steam engines. The smoldering wood was found behind his wall in a crawl space under the roof overhang which we didn't know existed because there was no door there. They had to tear out the wall to get at it. To make matters more messy, it had been raining buckets for two days, and the plastic tarp that was put on the roof temporarily leaked and drenched the library below through the air vent. So now we're starting repairs. But all is well. It was fascinating watching the firefighters in action. Neat guys! This is what I wrote in Letter to the Editor:

"IN PRAISE OF FIREFIGHTERS

Last Friday our home was struck by lightening. Within minutes after we called 911, volunteers began arriving from all over the county in their personal pickup trucks & in the big fire engines. These firefighters came from their homes, their places of work or Wal-Mart or anywhere they happened to be when they got the alert. There were faces we knew personally but never knew they were connected to the fire department. There was Kenny M****, who went to school with our daughters and works at V****'s. There was Dusty K*****, who drove our oldest daughter to her wedding at Concordia Hall in his horse drawn carriage. His wife, Cindy was also here assisting. There was Bruce M*****, who we know as a great guitar player & previous constable. Some of these men, like Bruce were firefighters in other cities before choosing to live in (our town's name). The fire chief, Tony R***** was with the (another town's name) fire department & moved to (our town) three years ago to retire, but could not get firefighting out of his system and got back into service here when Warren K*** retired. He even returned to our house himself later after it had been secured to check it once more. All these good people offer their time and their life, if need be, to keep our citizens or even our animals, safe from harm. They have been very well trained and are dedicated to their job. Everyone should take comfort knowing they are at hand.

Our good neighbors came during the ordeal offering help. There was Sarah R****, who's parents, Ginger & Delwin were out of town, but Sarah was thoughtful enough to appear at our door with a plate of homemade pinwheel cookies. There was Lisa C*****, with her little protege, Sara H***** who supplied us with a dish for our supper. Chris E***** came after coming home from work at he hospital & seeing all the flashing red lights and the fully outfitted fire fighting crew in, under and on top of our house. And Shirley C****, who had been rescued herself that day by our fire department when she was caught in her car in the rising high water, called to offer moral support.

Even old friends like Annie G*******, whom we have not seen for awhile called to offer us a place to stay.

This is what living in (our town) means.where everyone is a neighbor. Thank you everybody and God bless the firefighters!"

(My sister Ann and her ex husband Jeff...)
Ann suggested Jeff for the repairs. Good idea. He is out of a job. He was here yesterday covering the hole in the roof. He runs around those steep sloops like a monkey. Remember how we had to slide down on our seats. We will get a whole north side of new shingles plus Sandy's room will be patched and painted. That's one way to get his room cleaned up. I could send you some pictures, but you don't seem to be able to open them.

We lost Sandy's computer, our main phone, our bedside radio, and the fax machine. No furniture or anything else was ruined. Guess we will get new stair carpeting too and have the railing fixed from firemen going up and down.

Kenny came in one of the fire trucks dressed from head to toe in fire fighting gear. I said, "Kenny, is that you! " And then when I ran into him at the post office yesterday while I was talking to a guy who said he was a storm spotter, I gave Kenny a big hug and said "He's a firefighter!" Every time I see him at V***'s I give him a complement. He's so shy and I don't think he has much self confidence. Lisa C**** lives in Mrs. L***'s house and little Sarah H***** is one of eight kids who lives up the block. They took care of the fish, chickens and Natalie when we use to take vacations. Neat family.

Got to get to bed. Tomorrow the roofers come.

Love,

Mom

Mom loves to write letters to the town newspaper.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Your mom is a hoot! Love the letters...too funny. She sounds like a heck of a lady!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
When Mom wrote "do you remember when we had to slide down on our seats?" She is talking about when we used to climb on the roof to get all the stray pecans etc. off. We would also "lay out" on the porch's over hang before we knew too much sun was bad for you. Dad would squirt us with the hose every once in a while.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Any woman who can start a letter about being struck by lightening with "Guess what?" is an AWESOME woman.