Life's turning points....

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
I'm 52 and I've got a funny story to relate.

I met my much newer and improved Husband 2.0 when I was 46. It soon became obvious I was going to marry him. His parents live in Michigan, it was almost a year before I met them. When we left after the meeting, his mother looked at me and said "Well, maybe I'll see you again", meaning she'd met quite a few potential DIL's.....he was 43 at the time and a bachelor. She was surprised she did see me again, and I married her son!

Around the time we got married she told me that she'd always hoped hubby would have children (hint, hint). I looked at her and said "I'm 48 years old - I'm looking forward to having my own grandchildren!" :gig She was serious, and so was I. Hubby had already been snipped, we had discussed it, and if he'd wanted to, I was willing to have a child for him, he has none. But he (thankfully!!) said no, it was ok, we could get cats. Or a dog :bouquet

Fast forward to just a couple of months ago. Hubby was on the phone with his parents. After he hung up he told me that his mother had told him in all seriousness that he could still get the vasectomy reversed so we could have a grandchild for her. I"M 52!!!!! :ep

I don't think so. :rolleyes: But obviously hope springs eternal.

He told her sorry, but it was not going to happen. I think she's getting dotty in her old age! (oh yea, and her name is Dorothy :lol: )
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :yuckyuck

Too, too funny! I love that description! Also, the funny about Dotty ol' Dottie! Tell her that, due to the miracle of modern medicine, she can carry her own son's baby, if she so wishes! Its been done! :lol:

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
What miss_theNorth says is so true, it is really funny/fascinating how different life's paths are.

FarmerChick said:
being almost 48 and with my one and only 3 1/2 year old....well I have a longggg time to go so I can't imagine her leaving.
Oh cool, so I am not the only one here having first (in my case also second) babies in my 40's. Woo hoo! We need a secret handshake :D

Like Karen, I just can't even imagine what anything will be like when my kids are getting ready to leave home. I mean I *literally* cannot imagine it, what the world will be like, what they will be like, what I or my husband will be like, any of it. My ability to comprehend the future extends about 5 yrs or so and that's totally IT :p

Beekissed, I admire the way you are taking this sort of big change in your life, being willing to start out somewhere totally new and so forth. That's pretty cool. You sure seem like you'd be a SUPER foster mom if that's something you do decide to do.

Meanwhile, go watch yer new blue rooster for a while and sing him some new songs, perhaps he will learn to appreciate them in time and if not at least he deserves to know straight off what sort of a loonie he's landed with :D

Pat

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
THANKS, Pat! :bouquet I already gave him a hug today, but don't tell anyone else...they all think I'm a crusty old critter! :D

I think this is maybe easier to go through if one has a husband, but after some of the stories I've heard....maybe not! :p

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Beekissed one day I gotta tell you about my oldest son...he was never dx'd with anything...all they ever said was 'complex case' meaning 'we don't know what the heck is wrong with him and short of overdosing him on risperidol we can't help you and respite care is out cause nobody else wants to deal with him..."

Anyway, one day I will tell you about him. But for now you can simply smile and know you are not the only one in the jam your in with your son:>);)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Thanks, Morel! That certainly makes me feel better! Its real easy to blame oneself for your children's quirks.... TY! :bouquet

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Beekissed, I can see a glimpse of your pain although I am still a ways off....17,15,12 & the baby just turned 6.
My 17 yr old has senior-itis, thinking she is way grown and independent....I hate the thought of her moving away for college and yet I am so excited for her to spread her wings and grow.

Hugs to you...I am sure it is just a very conflicted time for you!:bouquet

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yep, it is. Changing jobs, trying to change careers, changing family matrix, changing of my parent's and siblings relationships....you name it, this has been the year of change! Still the same ol' me, though. Sometimes I wonder if I'll even recognize my life when this year is over.... :/

Not that I'm not used to change...we've lived in 3 different states, held nearly 30 different jobs in my lifetime, changed careers 3 times, married and divorced, a few failed relationships....well, you could say my life has been anything but boring...yet not anything you'd want to read in a book! :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Like Karen, I just can't even imagine what anything will be like when my kids are getting ready to leave home. I mean I *literally* cannot imagine it, what the world will be like, what they will be like, what I or my husband will be like, any of it. My ability to comprehend the future extends about 5 yrs or so and that's totally IT

***********I hear ya Pat...I am like you on this one. When Nicole is 18 I will be 61 going on 62. I will be retiring and she will be starting college. Talk about financial ICK!

LOL---I will never be slowing down my life though so I think it will be OK......it has to be....and you are right....what will life be in 20-25 years????? who knows with the way it is going????

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Trust me on this thought...when your kids are ready to leave the nesty EVERYBODY in the house will know and you will have driving yourself so crazy trying to make them happy at home with no success that you will be MORE than happy to see them go:>) At least that's my personal experince LOL

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
I met my much newer and improved Husband 2.0 when I was 46.
I also married much much improved husband 2.0 in my late 40's. He had never had kids and had been "snipped". We are very happy with the empty nest, not counting cats, dog and chickens. My grown girls are not yet pregnant or married, and I don't want to even think of them moving back home. I really don't know how I would handle it now, I am so used to the luxury and peace of just the two of us. My hat is off to those of you trying to cope without going bald from pulling your hair out! At my age I wouldn't choose to raise a child again unless I had no other practical choice. I think those of you who are doing so are remarkable women, more sturdy, empowered and brave than I.