liquid laundry soap

Smokin Silkies

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks, I was just looking for what type to use for the laundry soap...I have some here that I used when I used to make bath salts. Not sure if I could use them for laundry soap or not. I won't be using them for anything else at this point :eek:)

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
There shouldn't be a problem with that. Its all an experiment anyway ;)

Smokin Silkies

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Is there a way you could add the EO to the powdered laundry soap? I'd like to make that for myself since it takes up less space...and maybe use liquid for my family since they hate powder :rolleyes:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You can still add an EO to a powder, just put it in by the drops, disperse it into the powder by scrunching it through the powder by hand. I use EOs in my exfoliating scrubs and I add them before adding the moisturizing oils. I also use them in my bath salts and oatmeal bath mixes.

Smokin Silkies

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Cool! Thanks! Ok, another question for the newbie :p Is it worth getting a food processor to grate the soap? I don't have one. I honestly don't have time to grate a bar of soap for an hour, some say it takes FOREVER :/ I have 4 kids (3 under the age of 4) and a herd of animals lol (1 dog, 1 pup, 1 cat, 2 cockatiels and a ton of Silkies both inside & out) I'm a very busy person lol. Is it really that hard to grate by hand?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It doesn't take forever... :lol: :lol: I don't know who told you that but it's the work of mere minutes to grate a bar of FN. I usually take my little old square grater, sit down with a bowl in my lap and just grate it while talking with the family or watching a movie together. Just watch yer fingers and fingernails...I've inadvertently shaved off a piece of my thumb before and it was a really bad place to heal. :p

Smokin Silkies

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Wonderful!!! Thanks........and OUCH! :hit I bet that hurt! I'll be careful for sure..I need all of my fingers in working condition lol

Beekissed said:
It doesn't take forever... :lol: :lol: I don't know who told you that but it's the work of mere minutes to grate a bar of FN. I usually take my little old square grater, sit down with a bowl in my lap and just grate it while talking with the family or watching a movie together. Just watch yer fingers and fingernails...I've inadvertently shaved off a piece of my thumb before and it was a really bad place to heal. :p

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just grated 2 bars yesterday...Zote and Fels. I try to keep them grated ahead....so they have time to dry out more. I make and use the powdered version....but, as I use rain water for laundry....I take my measure of powdered and melt it in some hot tap water first. Whisk it a few times, then pour it in on top of the load. For me, it works very well. And I so like the home made so much better then the store liquids I have been buying for over 30 years. I never cared for the store bought powdered detergents. They never seemed to dissolve, or clean.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just use a box grater and grate by hand using the smaller holes--doesn't take long, the home-made soap I use in my laundry recipe grates quite quickly.

I use a bar of unscented home-made soap, 1 cup borax, and 1 cup washing soda plus 5 gallons of hot water (well, I melt the soap and add the borax and soda to a smaller amount first, then dilute in a 5 gallon bucket). Lasts super long, almost a year :)

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Box grater, is that what it is called? I tried the smaller holes, went back to the big ones. But then, I chose not to make the liquid soap anyways. I store the powders in old sun tea jars that leaked around the spigot. They are better for the dry storage.