List of Price Increases

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
yea soda even though it is water doesn't do it for me also. when thirsty I go straight for water now.

if I do have a soda I do anything without caffeine. Like Ginger Ale or root beer. Rare tho cause I am getting older now and soda just doesn't appeal to me anymore.

cold turkey :lol: we sound like soda addicts
My husband called Dr Pepper my crack. When I start getting cranky my girls will go get me a DP out of the frig.

Gypsi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
Wow the highest eggs were was 1.37.

Last week when I had to buy store eggs they were 1.88

Going out to have a talk with my hens!!!
Someone is taking eggs to the feed store and selling them, I got a dozen good eggs from there for $1.75 a week ago, mixed white, brown and green, and tasty. Feed store ran out Wednesday. I paid $1.99 for a dozen extra large eggs at brookshires over the weekend.

If my production reds don't start producing by spring, they are going to freezer camp. Possibly skip the freezer, and one at a time to cook-pot camp in the course of the winter. I've been spending a fortune giving them yogurt daily with crushed egg shell in it, Purina game bird layer feed, plus layena, just to try to get enough eggs a week to not have to buy eggs. It's cheaper to buy eggs. I ran out of yogurt money when my truck got hit. But with soft shells, my hens are doing a self-serve breakfast bar anytime a soft egg is laid.

Fortunately ONE of them is laying hard eggs. The only question is which one?

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Gypsi said:
the funny farm6 said:

Someone is taking eggs to the feed store and selling them, I got a dozen good eggs from there for $1.75 a week ago, mixed white, brown and green, and tasty. Feed store ran out Wednesday. I paid $1.99 for a dozen extra large eggs at brookshires over the weekend.

If my production reds don't start producing by spring, they are going to freezer camp. Possibly skip the freezer, and one at a time to cook-pot camp in the course of the winter. I've been spending a fortune giving them yogurt daily with crushed egg shell in it, Purina game bird layer feed, plus layena, just to try to get enough eggs a week to not have to buy eggs. It's cheaper to buy eggs. I ran out of yogurt money when my truck got hit. But with soft shells, my hens are doing a self-serve breakfast bar anytime a soft egg is laid.

Do they have light? When the days start getting shorter my girls slow waaaay down. 17 hens and I got 3 eggs today. Last year I had a light out there and the hens layed well all winter. We have an electrical short in the barn right now so no light until I can get the electrician out.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Gypsi said:
the funny farm6 said:

Might I suggest that if you are getting that many soft shell eggs there is something wrong with the ration you are feeding? I am not a chicken man but I know yogurt is not norman part of a chicken ration. I don't know if you are a BYC member but even if not I think you can read threads over there, look for ones that address your proplem.

Gypsi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
terri9630 said:
Do they have light? When the days start getting shorter my girls slow waaaay down. 17 hens and I got 3 eggs today. Last year I had a light out there and the hens layed well all winter. We have an electrical short in the barn right now so no light until I can get the electrician out.
They laid all last winter, our days aren't that short, but my 4 production reds (and my barred rock) are nearing 2 years old. They still lay, but with all of the oyster shell calcium in the dish, layer feed, cutting out treats, the only way to get HARD eggs seems to be feeding them yogurt or cheese, and I just can't afford it. They don't lay an egg a day like they used to, neither does the BR, but at least hers and one of the Red's are hard enough to not break in the nest or in my hand when I am washing them. The only question is which Red is worth keeping? And the answer to that may be hard to come by. I penned up the one with worst molt last night, and this morning, the first egg laid, before I turned her loose, had a super thin shell and had broken in the nest. And yes, I'm using ACV in their water to help them metabolize the calcium.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Nice to see some data!

I had been thinking about an SS index, but don't have the time to devote to it. I'd have a basket of things that even SS folks buy---canning supplies, corn, wheat, generators, etc. Buy I like the idea of only posting once each year. Makes it seem more realistic [in terms of effort, I mean].

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Gypsi said:
terri9630 said:
They laid all last winter, our days aren't that short, but my 4 production reds (and my barred rock) are nearing 2 years old. They still lay, but with all of the oyster shell calcium in the dish, layer feed, cutting out treats, the only way to get HARD eggs seems to be feeding them yogurt or cheese, and I just can't afford it. They don't lay an egg a day like they used to, neither does the BR, but at least hers and one of the Red's are hard enough to not break in the nest or in my hand when I am washing them. The only question is which Red is worth keeping? And the answer to that may be hard to come by. I penned up the one with worst molt last night, and this morning, the first egg laid, before I turned her loose, had a super thin shell and had broken in the nest. And yes, I'm using ACV in their water to help them metabolize the calcium.
I put rubber bases (used from an old baseball set up we had here) in the bottom of the nesting boxes, then straw on top of that. I stopped having those almost impossible to see fractures in the eggs that resulted in breaking eggs when I washed them.

It sounds like you're doing all the right stuff. I'd blame molting, especially if it's cold where you are now. They're using a lot of energy just to stay warm enough. I don't put out oyster shell, but they do get crushed egg shells. Once in a great while I get a soft shelled egg, but not often enough to worry about it.

Gypsi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The thin egg shell and laying problems actually started in early summer 2011 - when we had 13 hours of daylight and very warm temps. If that helps. Temps hit 100 in June and pretty much stayed there.