List of Price Increases

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
terri9630 said:
bambi said:
Thanks FarmerC....... I did catch one mistake and that is 5lbs of sugar and flour really? around here you can only get 4lbs also some of the prices like eggs are higher here I know because my girls are taking time off from laying :hit
Around here sugar is sold in 1lb,5lb or 20lb bags and flour is 5lb, 10,lb or 25lb bags. I've never seen a 4lb bag of either.
have you checked the weight on the bag or just asumed the weight? 4 pound turned up here in May quitely. No dummies they figured people were just buying the cheapest sugar for canning/freezing Fruit. another brand struct back with a 2Kg [4.4 Lbs] So who knows what a Kg is? thats when it hit the news here we have all 3 now.

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Checked my sugar bag and its showing 4lbs (64oz). SO does the 4.4lbs cost more?

SD Farm Girl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Interesting stats. Thanks for sharing.

Sugar bags in my area are 4 pound bags. Seems like prices keep going up and the size keeps going down. Remember pre-made salad in the plastic bags? I noticed it's 12 ounces now instead of 16?
I grabbed a bag of chicken food last month and noticed it felt a little lighter. It's 40 pounds instead of 50 now. Same price as a 50# bag.
I've even had potatoes in our local store in 4 pound bags but they don't advertise it. I think the stores count on people in a hurry grabbing what they usually buy and not noticing that packages are smaller now.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What really sucks is when you buy bulk and then a year or so later you have to purchase said item again and it's doubled or tripled in price in the time it took for you to go through your stores. :/ That's a real bite in the arse.

The laundry powder doesn't phase me, or probably anyone else on this forum, lol. But it definately had a big jump. Coffee... that one's scarier. I can't save up bulk, because when I do, my mother just power houses through it. When I heard that coffee was going up, I grabbed seven of the 30ish oz containers, which would last me at least a year... It was all gone within a month and a half. She must have been snacking on coffee grains throughout the day because that's simply crazy!!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I used to get sticker shock on a car purchase or other big ticket item, now I get shocked and zapped at grocery prices.

I expected that, but the grocery? bleck

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am lucky, my hubby is the only one in our family of 6 that drinks coffee. 1 large container of coffee will last @8-9 months. But I watch for a very good sale and I always try to find a coupon for even better savings.

I am working on my very bad addiction.....pepsi:(

I am drinking much more water these days, sometimes with a little lemon...yum!

And the hens just looked at me as if to tell me to shut up and feed us!

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
~gd said:
terri9630 said:
bambi said:
Thanks FarmerC....... I did catch one mistake and that is 5lbs of sugar and flour really? around here you can only get 4lbs also some of the prices like eggs are higher here I know because my girls are taking time off from laying :hit
Around here sugar is sold in 1lb,5lb or 20lb bags and flour is 5lb, 10,lb or 25lb bags. I've never seen a 4lb bag of either.
have you checked the weight on the bag or just asumed the weight? 4 pound turned up here in May quitely. No dummies they figured people were just buying the cheapest sugar for canning/freezing Fruit. another brand struct back with a 2Kg [4.4 Lbs] So who knows what a Kg is? thats when it hit the news here we have all 3 now.
I just double checked and it is still 5lbs. It wouldn't surprise me to find a 4lb soon though. Dog food, cereal, hot cocoa all went up a bit while the quanity went down and lots of people didn't notice. I found a recipe for hot cocoa and pretty much quit eating cereal but dog food I still have to buy.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
I am working on my very bad addiction.....pepsi:(

I am drinking much more water these days, sometimes with a little lemon...yum!
This is me. I was a diet pepsi drinker then switched to water with lemon or plain water.
It took a bit but once you really quit the soda, going back is kinda hard...being diet I could taste the chemicals in it in a way.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When I went cold-turkey I had migranes sooooooooo bad so now I am weaning off it. I was told I was having caffine withdrawls. So slow we go. I have noticed that when I drink water I am not as thirsty all the time.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea soda even though it is water doesn't do it for me also. when thirsty I go straight for water now.

if I do have a soda I do anything without caffeine. Like Ginger Ale or root beer. Rare tho cause I am getting older now and soda just doesn't appeal to me anymore.

cold turkey :lol: we sound like soda addicts