Little Creatures

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No way! I'll eat vegetables or weeds from my garden.

A few years ago, on the local news there was a story about someone in Michigan who posted on their facebook page video of them sawing with a toothed saw the head off of a Snapping Turtle. Their excuse was that they eat Snapping Turtles, but the way they were killing it was the problem. There was a BIG outrage over it from the public. The people who posted the video even received death threats. Most Michiganders love turtles-alive.

i didn't hear about that one. :( i'm in Michigan, i'll rescue turtles crossing the road if i can. big snapping turtles aren't common here as it is farmland all around us. the ponds that exist in this area are all man-made. this county is the only one in Michigan that doesn't have a natural lake.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The blackbirds are not hanging around as much. It was the defective new bag of woodpecker blend that I put out. Normally the blend has quality mixed nuts (walnuts, cashews, hazelnuts, peanuts, almonds, pecans) and black oil sunflower seed. This defective bag had lots of cracked corn, and peanuts and none of the other nuts! When the defective mix was all gone from the feeder, I put just black oil sunflower seed out.

I made the suet cakes, but going to work on the recipe more. The birds like the store bought version better. So, I have ideas of how to make it better/more appealing to them and still all natural. I'll post the recipe then.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Have you seen these that look like lint floating around? Up close they look like a fantasy tale character. Not a good picture. I have a new camera now that will take better pics next year! This was taken July 2021.

Attachments

• DSCN6739 (1).jpg
    DSCN6739 (1).jpg
    169 KB · Views: 125
Last edited: