Little Creatures

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
cardinals have been out here the past few weeks now that the days are starting to get longer and the weather a bit more sunshine and warmer. they're loud enough i can hear them through the walls and the windows.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Maybe he was wanting a snack.

we don't feed them or encourage them, but we also can't really keep them out so the best we do is try to ignore them.

we used to trap and relocate them but it was getting really silly in that we could trap a new one every night for weeks at a time.

we don't grow sweet corn here. that's about all the concessions we make for them and we have to make sure to plant the onion starts we use inside the fenced gardens and they have to be planted deeply enough that the raccoons can't smell the fertilizer used by the greenhouse.

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wo
I prefer to work with wild animals over fencing everything in, but if we didn't there would be no garden at all, and no poultry! The previous home owners gave up growing a garden and said the animals will win.

Corn takes so much room to grow. Some years we grow some, because it's so good homegrown. Some organic vegetables are cheaper at the store, but some things cannot be found organically, such as jalapeno peppers! Also, good tasting heirloom tomatoes! I haven't purchased a tomato at a store in years. They taste yucky

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
They're easy to grow. The variety I like is actually a hybrid from Johnny's Seeds, called "Jalafeugo". It has the hybrid vigor.
Interesting thank you. :)

Can these plants be grown o a windowsill?

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In a southern facing window you could possibly start the seedlings, but they should be grown outside in a garden plot to do the best. If you don't have a garden spot, you could probably grow a plant in a very large pot outside.
Thank you :)

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In a southern facing window you could possibly start the seedlings, but they should be grown outside in a garden plot to do the best. If you don't have a garden spot, you could probably grow a plant in a very large pot outside.
I've ordered some seeds. Thanks for you reply :)

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not sure, but I think Jalafuego is a hybrid, as are many of the pepper seeds you will find in seed catalogs. That being said, I'm not too proud to plant seeds from the grocer. This year, I've planted (from the grocer) mini reds, long reds, and a bell that was red and yellow striped. All have germinated well. I have no idea what they will produce, but... expect them to produce something. Should be interesting. Just to be on the safe side, I've planted some Early Jalapeno, Habenero, and King of the North from packets.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Jalafeugo is a hybrid. Why then did I save the seeds, and plant some? I don't know. I believe it's the only hybrid of any vegetable I grow.

I have some partial packets of OP Jalapeno peppers I could plant, but they are just not very prolific.