Little Creatures

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The bobtails look like a very interesting and cute creature!

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i didn't hear about that one. :( i'm in Michigan, i'll rescue turtles crossing the road if i can. big snapping turtles aren't common here as it is farmland all around us. the ponds that exist in this area are all man-made. this county is the only one in Michigan that doesn't have a natural lake.
I believe it was only on local news. I didn't know there was a county in Michigan without any natural lakes!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i have tried to train the birds to eat the japanese beetles by killing them and then leaving them out where the birds can see them. not sure it has worked or not... will keep trying. :)

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Have hardly had Japanese beetles this year. I think it's because of the dry weather. Now that it's rained I've seen a few more. I've just been squishing them and leaving them there. They're always on rose blooms. Sometimes the chickens are right there and they eat them if the beetle drops.

Other times when I had many beetles, which is normal, I've picked up a chicken and held her as she cleaned up all the beetles off a rose bush. I've also gathered them by knocking them in a container that is partially filled with water, then throw them in the pond when the muscovy ducklings are there, and they quickly gobble them up.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think this is the same article I read before about using 100% grass fed beef suet for face/skin balm. Only change is that the 2nd time, I made the suet out of lamb fat and added no other ingredients, just the suet. The lamb fat is reserved in the freezer only for cosmetic use now.

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We are feeding out a steer also and he always leaves crumbs for the birds.