livin' on the funny farm- SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Long day yesterday! 1st hubby decided we HAD to go look at trucks. I know ours is a peice of crap, but we don't have money for one and we can't afford another payment right now. Uggggg! What is with men today? The salesman wouldn't tell us the price of the trucks we were looking at till we filled out for credit. Then the trucks we 2X what I would pay for them. So dh got mad that he waisted over an hour of our time for nothing. And made a scine about it. :smack

But since he had to go 40 miles north, I made the trip worth while. I went to menards. Then stoped at the bread outlet and got a truckload of feed bread. And most of it had a "use by" date of the 10th. So I filled the freezer. All the critters are happy.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh and after that he decided to go get a new tattoo. :th realy??? at least a good friend of ours has a tattoo shop and we get ours done for next to nothing. then i went to look at some rabbits, i bought 3 pedigreed mini rex for $5.00 each as they had a TON of babies getting ready to wean and needed cage space. they also gave us 5 mixed breed meat rabbits for free.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would've walked out of that dealership the minute they refused to tell me how much the trucks were!! Maybe it's a law here, but all vehicles for sale have the price clearly marked on them - well, the price they want to get, anyway ;) I once found a cute little car that I really wanted. DH said that, if it was still there on the last day of the month, we'd go look. Long story short, they wanted $2,500, we walked out paying $1,500! Now days, since 'cash for clunkers' wiped out inventory, that same car would probably list for $5,000 and the 'lowest they could possibly go' would be $3,000 :rolleyes: DH has a great poker face - salesmen never know how bad he wants something, he's not afraid to lowball and slowly go up from there, and he has walked away more times than I can count. His only downfall is me :hide I stink at poker :lol:

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yah i kept telling him that the reason they dont want to tell us the price is it is way over the limit we gave him. well it was 2 and 1/2 times what our limit was. BUT DID HE LISTEN TO ME?????? NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! then he got all pissy and threw a fit. uggg!!! and the salesman was a jerk. so he was in a bad mood for half a day. :rant

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I get a dealership treating me like that, and I walk. I've had dealers try to get me to buy something w/out checking w/my hubby. And, I've had them patronize me. I don't deal well w/either.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I get a dealership treating me like that, and I walk. I've had dealers try to get me to buy something w/out checking w/my hubby. And, I've had them patronize me. I don't deal well w/either.
Pressure and patronization are pet peeves of mine too (say that 5 times fast :lol: ). For some reason, it seems like vehicle dealerships still go by 'old school' tactics - All women are 'the little lady' who can be pushed into anything because of her ignorance and, if she shows up with a man, can be completely ignored. :rant

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I knew better. Once he gets something in his head, he has to go full steam ahead. Usualy I can prolong it till he forgets. But not this time. So there we were.

I wanted to just watch the paper and get one from an individual. We can always take it to our macanic (that we trust) to have it checked out.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well i have been picking the peaches everyday and hiding them. and today made peach jelly! the kids wanted toast with jelly for dinner, but i told them it had to sit for a month.:p otherways it would be gone in a week. we will instead be having pork steaks and corn on the cob. you would think i was giving them poison!

we were supposed to butcher rabbits today but got postponed till tues.

got the horses wormed. (i am 3 weeks late:hide).

now we are going to sit in the a/c and watch a movie.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
come to find out hubby made plans to go to the home of a new co-worker for a birthday party yesterday evening. he sprung this on me after dinner at @ 6:30. so i went, and found out they are very interested in the "prepping/natural foods/doing for yourself" stuff also (i dont know how to classify myself and family). she is also wiccan, which i have been interested in for sometime now. so i think we will get along. we dont have a lot of friends, since most people think i am crazy!:hide

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we have been thinking and running some figures for some aspects of our farm, and have made some decisions.

we are going to sell the sheep.we have done the figures, and it doesnt seem they are going to be economical. they are going threw 4-6 bales of hay per week, which is fine while i have the $2.00 bales. but the lady is sold out so what i have is it for those. but than i will have to pay 5.00+ per bale.which is @ $20-30.00 dollars per week plus $20.00 for their grain per week. that = $2340.00 per year and if you figure 5 lambs from 3 females that comes to $468.00 per lamb. i can buy at the sale barn MUCH cheaper. the goats dont eat near as much as the sheep do and i will get milk plus the kids. for sale or butcher.

and i am going to change up the rabbits. (which i have already started) first i am looking into a different barn as our barn needs to be replaced, and has gotten real bad the last couple years. i found these pics and realy like the idea:
4137_2003_0101rabbitrypics0004.jpg

4137_2679465_orig.jpg

4137_3360210.jpg

4137_3570763_orig.jpg

it is only $80.00 for the canopy and $80.00 for the side walls. i will leave the west side down to keep the afternoon sun off, and the east side has a tree line so morning sun wontt be a problem. and i can still hang my fans. i think i will be building the wooden racks to set the cages on.
i will also be making breeding changes. i let dh change the way i was breeding and as a result i havent had good luck with my rabbits this year. i have sold off all the mixes and slackers. and kept 2 good breeding new zeland white does. and have puchaced a nzw buck. i got a trio of pedigreed standard rex and hope to find another trio. i also found a pair of pedigreed english lops. my dd got dutch and mini rex. she also wants mini lop and lionhead but we will see. there is a HUGE demand for pedigreed and purebreed rabbits here. and a lady north-west of us cant breed enuff of the pedigreed rabbits. and she gets $30-60 dollars each. we will give it a year or so, if it doesnt seem to be working out i will go back to my old way.

we are going to expand the garden to 3X its size and possabley put in a second garden spot. in the spring we will start putting in some new friut trees.

someone started a local facebook group for barter and trade. i plan to keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

there are a few other decisions to make but that is enuff thinking for now. sorry about the rambling.

Latest posts