livin' on the funny farm- SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
my catahoulas have been in heat. but they like hank - the bulldog mix better than the pit. but i do know he ( the pit ) bred the one. hoping for a good litter from st least one of them. if they didnt breed i am going to be trying to talk dh into going south (WAY SOUTH) for our aniversary trip to get a male catahoula.

found out yesterday that dh step dad has cancer. it is in his throut. he hasnt felt well for a long time and come to find out he hasnt eaten for a week. i dont know why his mom doesnt let us know things, we have to show up on her doorstep and drag it out of her. plus we have been taking groceries to them about every other week. the university drs were supposed to call with an appt last week but never called. so dh told her if she didnt call them today he was going to. and she said she didnt want to make the dr mad. grrrrrr. SOMEONE is going to have to fight for him and it doesnt seem it is going to be either of them. he is a very quiet shy guy that blends into the background. and she was very sheltered/controled by her first husband.

it is also hot here... they called for 102 yesterday but the bank clocks were 114 - 109 yesterday. calling for 105 today and it was 92 at 9:45 this morning and 98 at 11:00.

the corn crops here are drying up. the news said over 50% of farmers in iowa are cutting down their corn and feeding it to the cows. many of the local feilds of corn are dieing and are turning brown, some of them havent even set ears on! hay filds are dry and brown. i am not even sure if the rain comes it will help too much. we are at the point of no return so to speak.

i am stocking up on canned goods before they go up.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
were having similar issues here, lots of talk about hay and corn worries, (which means food and feed will go up) weve had some rain in the past few weeks, but im thinking its a too little too late kind of senario...

got fingers crossed for the pups though.

im assuming given the mix your breeding for "hog dogs" ? i know thats a very commong mix for pig hunters

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The corn around here looks good (we got a good, soaking rain last week that seemed to put it all over the hump), but obviously won't amount to much. We bought our cracked corn/scratch for our chickens this past weekend. I didn't want to spend the money (of-course, that's nothing new :p ) but the local farm store had it on sale and we figured we'd better get some now. We have secured our hay for the year too. Around here, it is getting pretty hard to find decent hay at a decent price due to the dry weather. Thankfully, last year when we first moved here, we set up a good relationship with a local hay seller, and are able to get what we need this year.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yes "hog dogs" are what i am going towards. we had a blutick/pit mix and she was the best farm dog EVER. but she was friendly and in the time dogs were being stolen-she was one of them thet came up missing. my catahoulas are VERY stranger wary, so i am hoping the pups will be also. and with the pit for that terrier tenacity they are awsome dogs (our bella would go after bobcats). i want duel pupose dogs that can do it all. we dont have wild hogs here, but plenty of coons and possums, and bobcats and coyotes.

we have a guy that said he should be able to get us threw the winter and he has good hay at good prices. and we have been trying not to feed too much grain lately. we had 16 horses 2 years ago and when the hay started to get hard to find, we started selling. we got down to the 2 ponies for the younger girls, my donkey, and our grace- i hope to find a buggy for her. went from 2 big round bales every 5-6 days to one big round every 10-12 days.and once i sell the sheep i will go down on my goat hay.

HandledWithCare

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Apparently West of here there's a hay shortage. I saw corn earlier this year but nothing now. I'd like to grow a patch of Timothy this year but I'm not sure about the weather. I'd like for it to cool off and rain some more!

What kind of sheep did/do you have, just curious.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i have 2 ewes left they are khatidin (sp?) X painted deasert cross. they are both a breed of hair sheep- they dont need sheared like normal sheep, they shead their hair like a dog. where you located? i would make someone a good deal on the last 2.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
got up this morning and had a pure breed basset hound sitting on my porch. went to all neighbers in a 1 1/2 mile radius and nobody has ever seen a basset around here. so i have a feeling he was dumped. he is skinny and was very hungry, and he flinches when touched. so if he has a home it must not be a good one. i will call the local shelters-3 shelters and none of them open before 1:00 pm. will show a pic of him when i get my computer fixed.

took the kids swimming yesterday at the lake. it is a 25-30 minute drive but free to swim. and they have a huge beach!

got some rain very early yesterday morning. @1/2 inch or so. sounded like more.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I hate it when people dump animals like that. I'm pretty sure Cindy was dumped. She was pretty tame when I found her, so I'm sure that's what happened w/her. And, she's such a nice cat it's hard to believe anyone could do that. :(

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the basset hound is still here. i have gone to all the neighbors and asked about him but nobody has seen him before. he cant stay, so i am wondering how long i should wait before i rehome him.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
if you want to rehome him yourself id say put an add on craigslist "found" explain location sex and breed but leave details a little vauge so whoever tris to claim him has to "prove" hes theres.
put "if owners are not located within *insert time here* he will be placed for adoption.

i belive in most states shelters have to hold an animal for 48 hours before rehoming/euthanizing to give the owners a chanceto find the animal, so id find out what your local shelteres "stray hold" is and use that.

in order to make it legal you do have to put a notice (preferbaly in the newspaper but as long as you ca prive you put up a notice) of found "property" and then if it not claimed within the set time its then legally yours to do what you want with.

in terms of how long you SHOULD keep him, that all depends on you, generally ill go shelter minimum plus whatevers needed for me to feel i have a good idea of personality so i can find the dog a good match in a home....

or take him to the shelter and let them deal with it...(not my first option especially given this area is high kill...) but it might be different where you are.
see if you can also run a fre add in your local papers "lost and found" section along the same lines.

Latest posts