livin' on the funny farm- SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yah, same here.

i have pet stores already calling me. give me a bit.

oh, and we stoped by the pet co closest to us.@40 miles south but also the closest menards. and i think they tell their workers to lie to people ON PURPOSE!!! uggg. i have never been happy with pet co, but i like to go in and look anyway (mostly cause they send me lots of coupons.) and as i was looking at the reptiles there was a lady looking at their corn snake babies. and she asked how big do they get? and he told her @2 feet long. WHAT? mine was over 6ft! and how often do i feed it? oh once every 2-3 months. AGAIN WHAT??????? are you kidding me? she said she had to call her boyfriend she would get back with him and he left. i quickly told her they can get 6ft. and thet she would have to feed AT MINAMUM once a month and at that small size every other week would be better. i also told her you have a smart phone- look them up real quick. aparently she did cause she started to ask the guy why the internet says they get much bigger.
then i asked another guy if he could move the hamster houses so i can see what they look like. and he starts quizzing me like i was a complete idiot. this is how it went:
m=me
h=him
h:what age is your child?
m:well my daughter is 15 but this would be for me.
h:well you know hamsters bite a lot they dont make very good pets.
m:we have had them before and they are ok if handled well.
h:do you like cats?
m:no not realy.
h:eek:h, well if you like cats ferrits are just like having a cat. they make very good pets.
m:i have had ferrits before, i dont like them.
h:we also have some very good natured male guinea pigs. they are even better.
m:no they are to big. and cages are very expencive.
h:eek:k, well here are the ones we have-these are the prittyest ones. ($20.00 ea) and they are younger. (he then takes the little house off of them and uses the edge of it to flip them all out of their nest, he clearly didnt want to touch them.
m: do you have any other colors? (i knew they did in another cage)
h:yes we do (grumble under breath) he then opens the next cage and flips the hamsters out and a couple grumble at him.
h:see i told you they are not very good pets.
so, i have had quite enuff of this fellow and quite frankly his know it all attitude, so i go to town on him, and i tell him: you know i have raised hamsters for 10+ years and i have never seen something like this. if they are well bred for their temperment they are the best pets you can get. (this is where a manager overhears me) now i asked to see the hamsters, and you tried to show me every other animal in the store. your coworker just got cought lieing to another costomer. you know what i am done with this place! well here comes the manager. do you have a complaint? is something wrong? yah and you just herd me. the dept of ag will have a call about you and so will the better busness buerow (sp?) you lie to people and think it is ok? i dont. and as i turn around there is a lady with a little girl that were looking at the hamsters also, and i told them to go to the pet store on the other end of town they have very friendly hamsters, i know cause they came from my bloodlines that i developed. and she smiled and said thanks. and she walked out of the store about 10 feet behind me.

plus the cages were dirty, which for pet co its self is unusual. they are normaly very clean if nothing else. and i know how their breeding goes- another breeder and i were contacted by an out sourcer for pet co once. we had to be usda licenced, and be inspected. and we had to be able to supply @40 pet stores in the midwest. if we missed a delivery we would be docked pay. so the way we figured it we were going to need @ 300+ breeders. there would be no time to play with and tame the babies. and we were only going to get @1.00 per hamster on the high side. and that was useing cheaper food, bedding, ect. we would have to crank them out as fast as possable.

no not me! my babies are frindly and fat on the good food that i mix myself.

sorry i had to rant...

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
We always had hamsters growing up and they were friendly pets. And, we got them from someone who raised them. I did learn that I knew more about them than the people in the pet stores and frequently was educating customers for them!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yes i do that also. but these people were either stupid and didnt know... or they were outright lieing! and i am fairly sure they were lieing. he tried his tricks to get me to go to a higher priced animal. and they were rude and just didnt care. and like i said, the ONLY 2 things i give pet co creadit for is #1. they have male only and female only stores. the one near us is a male only store-so all the small animals are male. you dont and up buying 2 female hamsters and have babies cause they are male/female. and #2. they are clean, and this one has been till this visit. (granted i havent been there in 8 months or so) but this time they were filthy! and that turns me away quicker that anything. the ferrit litter box was over flowing with poop, and there was poop in their food. that didnt happen in 1-2 days.
and i am carefull at watching how they treat their pets. and he took the house off of them and used the corner of the hut to fling their sleepy litttle butts all the way across the tank! there was no call for that.
i sent an email to corperate.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Good for you. The only time I ever got bit by a hamster was shortly B4 he died. He wasn't feeling well, and I didn't realize it.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i have had a few. but if they bite- they dont get to stay i either give them away, or... but to treat them like that was uncalled for, and that is one reason they get mean.

and i am by far an animal rights type of person, but it bugs the heck out of me to have cages like that. myself and any other breeder, you can go in their home and look at the cages. they are not dirty, they dont smell. we treat these little critters well. i want to be known (as i have been before) as the lady with the best hamsters. they are healthy, i keep an eye on the genetics, and temperment, temperment, temperment. pritty colors are last.

its getting cold. :(

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
its snowing! yesterday was nice- now snow. what the heck?

Denim Deb

Reaction score
We might get some snow late tomorrow, but they're not calling for much. But that's going to be the last "warm" day in awhile. It's supposed to be below freezing and stay there or just slightly above for over a week. Long range forecast shows it not getting warm enough for me to ride my motorcycle until the end of the month. :(

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Ya'll can keep that cold white junk, I don't want any more!!! :hide