livin' on the funny farm- SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well i had to yell at dozer for knocking the garbage over!! he is feeling better today. (thankfully)

not much else here.

but we are in for a warm up the next few days!! yipeee! @40 degrees.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
called the hay guy, (we always call on friday) and he sold out of hay. :barnie so we had to do a fast newspaper and craigslist search, first 4 ads were already gone. found a guy 10 miles away with alfalfa hay for $8.00 per bale. kinda light. but super leafy. i prefer not to keep the horses on strait alfalfa but it was that or go hungry till monday. they are happy and eating horsey candy now. he has @600 bales left. i had some crappy coming 2 yr old round bales gave to us. there is still a little good in the center. the rest i can use as bedding. it isnt moldy that i could tell, we will bring some home next week and see.

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
called the hay guy, (we always call on friday) and he sold out of hay. :barnie so we had to do a fast newspaper and craigslist search, first 4 ads were already gone. found a guy 10 miles away with alfalfa hay for $8.00 per bale. kinda light. but super leafy. i prefer not to keep the horses on strait alfalfa but it was that or go hungry till monday. they are happy and eating horsey candy now. he has @600 bales left. i had some crappy coming 2 yr old round bales gave to us. there is still a little good in the center. the rest i can use as bedding. it isnt moldy that i could tell, we will bring some home next week and see.
I hear you. This is an awful situation to be in. Many people are going through the same thing up here. Could you try and keep them going on beet pulp, alfalfa- and timothy pellets mixed with straw? We are using this as an additive so we can save some hay here and there. Seems to work for the ladies. If you have access to some beets or carrots and apples it will help too. Alfafa is up to $12 a bale, hay is changing since the greedy hay people are starting to realize they cannot dump their stuff for $10 a bale so it is now going down towards $8 again, where it normally should be $2.50. For it being a drought, there sure is a lot of 4th and 5th cutting out there...

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yah, we thought the same thing looking threw craigslist and the paper- no gress hay advertized, but a LOT of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th cutting alfalfa for sale for $8.00 to $15.00 a bale. odd seeing how everyone said they only got 2 cuttings if they were lucky. and didnt see any big rounds at all-i dont want rounds right now but normaly that is all that gets baled around here. we will see how this goes, i was thinking about adding a couple more nanny goats, but if i cant feed them....

dozer is def better!!! he is back to his normal bad self. lol this is him the first day with the collar that started it all.
4137_016.jpg

hanks puppies:
4137_022.jpg

and my daughters cat on kitty crack... aka, catnip. he is an addict!
4137_025.jpg

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
WOW! what a nice day! it was 41 today. thought about putting on shorts. :hide didnt do much- i have been going threw my chick and seed catalogs, adding-subtracting-adding more, and saying it is only another $5.00 or $15.00 :/. lol. did a spring cleaning on my incubator, even in the winter there is a ton of dust in this house.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Same here. Part of that is because of the wood stove. The rest? Not so sure.

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
WOW! what a nice day! it was 41 today. thought about putting on shorts. :hide didnt do much- i have been going threw my chick and seed catalogs, adding-subtracting-adding more, and saying it is only another $5.00 or $15.00 :/. lol. did a spring cleaning on my incubator, even in the winter there is a ton of dust in this house.
HA! I am glad I'm not the only one. My incubator has been filled with eggs since yesterday. This is part of the reason why this is my most favorite time of the year. A clean drawing board to fill with many crazy ideas!

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
yah, we thought the same thing looking threw craigslist and the paper- no gress hay advertized, but a LOT of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th cutting alfalfa for sale for $8.00 to $15.00 a bale. odd seeing how everyone said they only got 2 cuttings if they were lucky. and didnt see any big rounds at all-i dont want rounds right now but normaly that is all that gets baled around here. we will see how this goes, i was thinking about adding a couple more nanny goats, but if i cant feed them....

dozer is def better!!! he is back to his normal bad self. lol this is him the first day with the collar that started it all.
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/4137_016.jpg
hanks puppies:
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/4137_022.jpg
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/4137_025.jpg
Yup, they did the same up here, a man made hay depression. They are up to 5th cutting on almost everything. The good thing is that prices are dropping slowly because people thatw ere on the edge got rid of their horses and there is not much more of a market for these hay gangsters and now they are sitting on their hay and only 4 more months before supply increases even more again. That'll show them.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Avalon1984 said:
the funny farm6 said:

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/4137_016.jpg
hanks puppies:
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/4137_022.jpg
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/4137_025.jpg
Yup, they did the same up here, a man made hay depression. They are up to 5th cutting on almost everything. The good thing is that prices are dropping slowly because people thatw ere on the edge got rid of their horses and there is not much more of a market for these hay gangsters and now they are sitting on their hay and only 4 more months before supply increases even more again. That'll show them.
haha hay gangsters! :lol: that is so true. i know a lot of farmers are hanging onto what hay they have, cause they thought they would need it to get threw the winter. but if winter stays mild like this (KNOCKING ON WOOD!!!) they arent going to need it. and at the very begining of winter alfalfa was 15.00 and up for squares, so $8.00 isnt too bad, but i dont like feeding it strait. too rich. and the guy we got it from sis say he had some good grass hay but he wasnt going to sell it till the alfalfa was all gone.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
a sure sign of spring is baby chicks in the living room and baby goats in the kitchen!!! CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!