"Local"

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
How do you define "local"?

I found out I live about 20 miles from Jenny-O turkey hatchery and processing plant. Their turkey farmers are ALL within 50 miles of the plant. For me, Jenny-O is "local."

Same for GoldnPlump chicken. It's a little farther away, but same concept.

Ashley furniture factory (and scratche-dent outlet!!) are not very far away.

What do you think? And any national brands that are local for you?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Shaker's Vodka. 15 minutes away. :love

Also the FibroMinn plant, the first BioMass power plant in the US.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Leinies is considered a "fine craft beer" out here in Colorado. When I was a kid growing up in WI, it was "the cheap local crap you bought when you couldn't afford Miller" :gig

I have several local mico brew places where I am now. Nothing is better than taking a growler down for a refill on a hot day :D

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Pella Windows is about 35 miles from me....Schafer Pen used be close, too, but they shut down. I don't think there are any others.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
There is local then there is local in my opinion. We have many large national brands in our area (within a 100 mile limit) Boulevard Beer is my hubby's favorite "local" company. I try to not only source local, but also DIRECT. I try to buy as much as possible direct from a farmer that grows it as close to home as possible.

I admit however I am quite jealous of all of you that live near a Lehmans however. :)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Great question. Not too much local to us out here. We even have to be careful at the farm stands. One was selling "local" corn in early July. Turns out it was from several states to the south. Not what I consider local. I stick to the farmer's market and the stands I trust to be selling their own stuff only. Meat is especially hard here I think. I buy some from a CSA but it's not enough. I can get more from the farmer's market this time of year but during the cold months it's really hard to find, and expensive when you do.

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
tortoise said:
How do you define "local"?

I found out I live about 20 miles from Jenny-O turkey hatchery and processing plant. Their turkey farmers are ALL within 50 miles of the plant. For me, Jenny-O is "local."
Local is local. But local isn't my top priority when it comes to meat. Here is how my priorities shake out...

1. Humane treatment (no CAFOs)
2. Local
3. Organic

It is more important to me that my food be local than organic, and more important that it be humane than local.