"Local"

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
The local-ness of local :)P) kind of depends what you mean.

One thing is just, trucking miles from farm to you.

But another thing is, how much stuff was trucked from far away TO that farm to grow the stuff. So for instance poultry raised at a nearby farm eating feed grown 2,000 miles away is a lot less local than poultry raised on a nearby farm eating feed grown 20 miles away or on-site.

And another another thing is the economic local-ness. A megacorp like Jenny-O or whatever is sending most of the money you give 'em for your turkey to people far far away; when you buy a turkey from a farmer similarly close to you but he is selling his OWN turkeys, he's not a grower for a big corporation, the money is going more into the local economy.

It's a personal choice how much any of these things matter to you of course, especially when price (and quality and environmental effects) are also being factored in.

Pat

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
But another thing is, how much stuff was trucked from far away TO that farm to grow the stuff. So for instance poultry raised at a nearby farm eating feed grown 2,000 miles away is a lot less local than poultry raised on a nearby farm eating feed grown 20 miles away or on-site.
There was an article on this in our local paper not that long ago... Atlantic superstore (Loblaw's) has advertisements on their local produce, farms that are within 100 miles of the store... but their warehouse is 800 miles away in Nova Scotia. So the produce was being trucked to the warehouse and then distributed back to the idividual stores...

Even though the farm is 80 miles away from the store, the produce travelled 1600 miles to get there. They changed the policy I think after the publicity.

We have a couple breweries 'local' to us, Molson and Moosehead beers...

We buy a lot of our meat at the farmer's market, produce and baked goods too... unfortunately sometimes because of finances we are stuck going to the grocery store for things.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Buster said:
tortoise said:
How do you define "local"?

I found out I live about 20 miles from Jenny-O turkey hatchery and processing plant. Their turkey farmers are ALL within 50 miles of the plant. For me, Jenny-O is "local."
Local is local. But local isn't my top priority when it comes to meat. Here is how my priorities shake out...

1. Humane treatment (no CAFOs)
2. Local
3. Organic

It is more important to me that my food be local than organic, and more important that it be humane than local.
I am in agreement here!

It is amazing however how much truly local food can be found while still following that rule list. It DOES take some time and effort to get out meet and greet those farmers. Going to the auction house is a good place to make farmer acquaintance, as is the local feed store. Finding a small butcher shop that does custom butchering for farmers is also a good place to look.

Find those farmers and become their customer. Buy the whole animal on the hoof and arrange the butchering yourself at that local shop. If money is a problem - get some friends to go in on the project with you.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i'm with Pat and Buster.

my family owns a brewery and we make all our beers on site. we do only direct sales in the restaurant or supplying kegs to other local (non-chain) restaurants. but all the ingredients are ordered from a wholesaler... even i, a part owner, wouldn't really call it true "local" beer.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Leinies is considered a "fine craft beer" out here in Colorado. When I was a kid growing up in WI, it was "the cheap local crap you bought when you couldn't afford Miller" :gig

I have several local mico brew places where I am now. Nothing is better than taking a growler down for a refill on a hot day :D
Don't forget about "Old Pile" I mean style. ;)

We are getting growlers for the first time this Fri. Brew Pub is 10 miles away. I'm going to see if they use "local-ish" ingredients.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
We used to call it "Dog Style". Bonus points if you know where the peeing frog is on the can :gig

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I personally do not consider Leinenkugel Brewing Company local. It is just part of a foreign owned conglomeration.

Leinies is owned by Miller which is owned by South African Brewing Company. How local is that?

Annette

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Panther Creek Homestead said:
Yeah, i'm with FF on this one. I have Tyson's about 50 miles from me, but I won't eat their chicken. Just tastes gross and probably is.

Sheila
The dog food that I use, their reject chicken shipments go to Tyson chciken!! Gross!!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Leinies is owned by Miller which is owned by South African Brewing Company. How local is that?
It did not become a part of Miller until 1988. I was a Leinie drinking teenager in the late 70's early 80's, back when the company was local and family owned.