"Local"

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Leinies is owned by Miller which is owned by South African Brewing Company. How local is that?
It did not become a part of Miller until 1988. I was a Leinie drinking teenager in the late 70's early 80's, back when the company was local and family owned.
I remember those days. I grew up on Miller, Pabst, Schlitz and Gettleman's. My relatives worked for all those breweries. I wouldn't be surprised if some even worked for Leinies. I know my relatives "Up North" served it in their bars.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
tortise said:
How do you define "local"?

1. Humane treatment (no CAFOs)
2. Local
3. Organic

It is more important to me that my food be local than organic, and more important that it be humane than local.
Good list there.

Local for me is walking about 500 yards to pet the goats, ruffle the chickens and purchase milk and eggs.

Local is also having a neighbor up the road in the other direction raise beef for me... without drugs, chemicals, vaccines, and all grass fed, so no imported grains from other states or counties.

Local is my garden in the yard... or the spinach that was passed from neighbor to neighbor until it reached my pot.

Local is my neighbors pies from the Farmers market....and pies sell well, BTW.

Everything is not organic but it is free of the Federal eyes, free of controls, free of taxes, free free free creativity of my friends and neighbors.

Local is also learning not to buy stuff just cause I always did when I lived in the city.... living on less variety but of better quality.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
tortoise said:
Leinenkugel's here! :cool:
Ditto :) Maybe Milwaukee Dills? Not sure if they are made here any more. Lots of beer, cheese, brats.

To me, local means closeby. Lots of crap food is grown close by somebody.

Now sustainable is a completely other thing, and to me that means with no chemicals or very, very few (I choose none), with plans in place to conserve and build the soil, limit water usage, sell to people who live nearby, use few petrochemicals to get the crops planted and grown (like gas/diesel for the equipment), maintain/build permanent native species habitat/corridors, etc.