Long Term Bulk Grain Storage Containers

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Does anyone here know who sells storage containers for long term grain/bean/etc. storage...? Any links to sites and/or info would be very much appreciated....thanks

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you are looking for new my local home depot sells food grade buckets and lids for the best price I could find. My first choice for the least cost would be buckets that have been used previously for food such as from a bakery. There are many sources online if you google long term food storage. I line my buckets with metalized liners and you can also purchase oxygen absorbers for your long term storage needs. Also I would highly recommend gamma lids to make access to items you will use more often.
A few sites for these things
www.beprepared.com
www.honeyvillegrain.com
www.pleasanthillgrain.com
www.nitro-pak.com
Hope that helps.
*edited for error on one of the websites I noticed

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My husband just got two from the Walmart bakery for $1 ea, but they throw the lids away, so you have to purchase them elsewhere.

Burger King, White Castle, etc have them. but the pickle smell is nearly impossible to eradicate.

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
I found all the 5 gal buckets I want from the back of the local Chinese fast food place. They are Kikoman soy sauce buckets, and it takes a bleach soaking to get the smell out. They were very happy to have me haul them away.

Browser8

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
You used to be able to go to any Super Walmart and get the buckets that they get their icing in. They are food grade buckets and we loved to go and get them.

Now they won't give them to you. They send them off to a foreign country now.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Browser8 said:
You used to be able to go to any Super Walmart and get the buckets that they get their icing in. They are food grade buckets and we loved to go and get them.

Now they won't give them to you. They send them off to a foreign country now.
It doesn't hurt to ask again. When he asked about a month ago, they said that they recycle them and no longer give them away. Last week, he got thm for $1. It may depend on who is working a the moment.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
With whatever bucket you decide to go with I recommend the Gamma Seal lids for the stuff you will need access to. I store oats, flour, sugars grain etc as well. With the Mylar bags and use these lids. They make it so easy to get into the buckets. I also saw beprepared has them on sale right now. Good luck;

OkieAnnie

City slicker gone rural
Reaction score
Those square buckets are great! We don't live in a state that they are available in. Our next door neighbors daughter worked at a local bakery, a mom and pop type place, she brought us the frosting buckets, they are round, but work great. I think the square ones would store easier and use less storage space.

You can try stopping by a local bakery and asking for the frosting buckets if you don't want to have to deal with the soy sauce smell.