Looking at houses ~ NOW LAND!!! COUNTER OFFER ACCEPTED!!!

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd pretty much give my right arm, or any other appendage for that matter, to have an old Victorian with that many updates! Everythng round here is generally in much worse condition than that one. Everything from 17 layers of lead paint to rotten floor joists, termite infestations, ancient wiring ect! If you've checked out the rest of these and it seems it's only minor repairs, that the a average DIY'er can do, I'd jump on it. JMO! ;)

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
mamaluv321 said:
Just a thought, find out exactly how long it's been on the market and how bad they wanna sell; have the owners already bought a new home or in the process? If so, I'd make an offer WAY below asking, you never know! That's what we did, we bought a 2 family that the guy just wanted to get rid of basically. Our first offer was $30k under asking and they accepted the following day! That is, assuming you really like it. Wood work is fairly easy to replace, cobwebs n hair easy to vacuum and cat pee on concrete basement floor easy to paint over with a sealant. Good luck!!
It's a short sale. It was actually on the market two years ago, also a short sale. Someone made an offer and it fell through for some reason. We're thinking of making an offer $100,000 below the asking price. Kinda crazy, but we'd need the extra money for repairs. My understanding is that with a short sale we make an offer and the bank gives us a counter offer. We can then decide whether to take it or not, because beyond that there is no more negotiating. Maybe it's a good idea to start really low? But first we'd like to look at it again and bring a builder friend of ours.

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What's the square footage? Those bedrooms look BIG for a two bedroom. We considered moving into a two bedroom recently, it's totally do-able. :D

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Jamsoundsgood said:
What's the square footage? Those bedrooms look BIG for a two bedroom. We considered moving into a two bedroom recently, it's totally do-able. :D
I don't know the square footage. Maybe I can find that out. I have two kids so they'd have to share a room. My husband is hating the idea of being stuffed in a little house with the kids. He's bein' a big poo and doesn't want a house that needs work. He's finding the fault in every house without seeing the possibilities. I'm like :smack "IT'S 5 ACRES!" But all he sees is all the work needed. :(

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
mrbstephens said:
Jamsoundsgood said:
I don't know the square footage. Maybe I can find that out. I have two kids so they'd have to share a room. My husband is hating the idea of being stuffed in a little house with the kids. He's bein' a big poo and doesn't want a house that needs work. He's finding the fault in every house without seeing the possibilities. I'm like :smack "IT'S 5 ACRES!" But all he sees is all the work needed. :(
lol... you're like me... I could care less what the house looks like, as long as there is nice land.

We're looking for somewhere with 50-200 acres now, and the last place had a horribly nasty house (ie the back portion of the house had collapsed) but 116 acres overlooking a gorgeous river valley... I suggested living in a camper trailer and making the house into a chicken coop... hubby didn't go for it :)

We're stuck on 1 acre for now...

I like the little 2 bed house... it really doesn't look that hard to add on to.

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We were considering that two bedroom house with four kids! Two kids is nothing. If things get crowded send them outside! That's the whole point of 5 acres. You just downsize everything. It's amazing how little you actually need. The house we were looking at had a large storage room off the laundry room, so I was going to put all of our clothing in there, Duggar style, and not have any dressers in the bedrooms. It's amazing how you can come up with solutions for your family if you just think of how you actually operate and what you actually need. Don't think of it as being "cooped up" - think of it as bonding.

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Jamsoundsgood said:
We were considering that two bedroom house with four kids! Two kids is nothing. If things get crowded send them outside! That's the whole point of 5 acres. You just downsize everything. It's amazing how little you actually need. The house we were looking at had a large storage room off the laundry room, so I was going to put all of our clothing in there, Duggar style, and not have any dressers in the bedrooms. It's amazing how you can come up with solutions for your family if you just think of how you actually operate and what you actually need. Don't think of it as being "cooped up" - think of it as bonding.
Tell that to my hubby. Maybe he'll listen to you! Winters are pretty long around here and I can imagine it would be a little cramped. There is a covered porch and I thought maybe we could make the basement into another room. Again, I don't know the square footage. I'm waiting to here back from my real estate agent.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
mrbstephens said:
Tell that to my hubby. Maybe he'll listen to you! Winters are pretty long around here and I can imagine it would be a little cramped. There is a covered porch and I thought maybe we could make the basement into another room. Again, I don't know the square footage. I'm waiting to here back from my real estate agent.
We live in a 600 square foot house now, although we're just now expecting our first baby. We do have 2 large dogs, one cat me and hubby and in a few months we'll also have a new baby. Once we finish renos, we'll have 900 square feet and two bedrooms. I love having the small house (it's really not that small)... it's cozy in the winter time, and in the summer we spend all our time outside... even in the winter there's still lots to do outside... especially if you had 5 acres with animals on it. We're starting 4 season gardening here too, so that I'll have a garden to look after all year round.