Looking to move

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You all may remember I live in the middle of nowhere - it's true. But I'm looking to move even further out into the middle of nowhere. I've got my eye on a beautiful piece of property that's about 1/4 mile off a one lane gravel road. It's an entire 50 acre mature hardwood holler with a stand of about 5 acres of mature white pine. It also has a large spring fed creek flowing through it. Wife and I went to go look at it and fell in love. There is one way in and one way out. I asked my wife how she would like walking a 1/4 mile every day to check the mail box "she said if I had to walk through this, I would absolutely love that". :) I put in a bid, and am looking into what isineeded for an easment, wish me luck!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Is there a house? You have said you want to live in such a "nowhere, wooded, quiet" place. Maybe this has been calling you?

Is it ALL wooded? Where would you garden?

Most importantly, can you get internet????? :lol:

Ok picture this there a steep hill on the left side, creek and steep hill on the right side (a holler). Quite a ways up, the creek bends to the right and there is a nice raised flat spot to the left of the bend for a future house. Yes it's completely wooded no clearing at all we had to walk. I could do whatever I wanted out there and no one would be the wiser execept maybe bigfoot. If there is a bigfoot around here, that's where I would hangout if I we're him.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wood cook stoves are still available. You just may have to order them. I think you have to pick it up from distribution dock of whatever shipper Lehman's uses if you order from them.

I looked into them when we first moved here, but wood burners have efficiency requirements in this state.

Our Amish friends cook with a wood stove like you mention. They live about 10 minutes drive from here. My thoughts are, if they can cook on a wood stove, then i think we could to.

My wife would love me long time if I got her a wood stove to cook on. She loves old things like that.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love my wife :) the conversation started like this... Hey Hun you remember me telling you about that property in Alaska that my boss has? She said yeah vaguely. Then I proceeded to tell her all about it. She said 120 acres and a 1800 sqft log house. A 120 acres is huge but just where is this in a Alaska? I said let me show you on Google maps, so I brought up Google maps and found approx where it's located. She wait a min the artic circle is south of there (she could see it when I was fudging with Google maps). I said yes approx 35 miles south. She said just how do you get there? Is said well there are no trails or roads so you get there via float or ski plane. I said over the course of a couple of weeks a guy could probably cut a trail for a 4 wheeler or snowmobile down to bettles but you can only get to bettles via plane anyways so what's the sense in that? plus bettles is only 13 people.

She started laughing, looked at me and and waved bye. She said there is no way i am living there, how much is your boss gonna pay me to live there? I said the state of Alaska pays you to live there and there are no taxes (property, income, sales). I could see the wheels turning in her mind and after about 30 seconds.

She then said well honestly 120 acres is huge and it already has a log house on it. We would be silly not to take this seriously wouldn't we? I said absolutely it's unmolested artic wilderness, water is so clean you drink right from the lake, there is not a soul for miles in any direction. Plus it comes with mineral rights and has never been mined. She then said yeah like you would ever find gold there? I said I wouldn't even think of trying to find gold. Then she said ok let's look at it further, talk to your son's between all you men you should be able to easily raise enough cash to buy it. But let me make one thing perfectly clear. I am not living there. They have 4 weeks of summer and 4 weeks of darkness in the winter. No way Jose, I am not living there period - you got that? Yep got it loud and clear!

So now i'm not looking to move but i got the green light from the CFO to purchase the place :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband is from around Beckley, West Virginia. His family has been there for generations. Hubby says that when they would spend the night at the old homestead house his aunt did most of the cooking on the wood cook stove. He loved the cornbread cooked in that stove.

The kitchen has lots of windows that could be opened, as well as a door. It's attached, but separate from the rest of the house. That helps keep the heat away in the summer.

When last we visited, we drove over and saw the house. It's been well taken care of by the family who several still live right around it. Candles for lights and fireplace on the ground floor for heat. Outhouse was about 100 feet away. There was a pump and well installed back in the 50s and a single pipe run into the kitchen.

Beckley, West Virginia? I was born in between a hill and a holler outside of Davy and Big Jenny, on amountian called Jonnycake West Virginia by a midwife.Your husband and I might just be kin folk.

Davy is way back in the mountains in mcdowell county, follow the 1000 curves rt 16 from Welch and you eventually hit Davy. It's ok to drive to Davy from Welch because the mountain is on the passenger side. But don't drive from Davy to Welch because there's nothing on the passenger side but sheer cliff and the tug river on the bottom.

Davy is a rough place, very rough and I never met Big Jenny and I don't think I want to. My relatives are buried in a cemetry up big Jenny holler. There's only one cemetry back up in there.

My dad and mom moved to northern IL when i was just a few weeks old and that's where I grew up. We vacationed in and around Davy and coalwood when I was a little guy. Back then Davy was a nice place but lack of work and drugs have pretty much destroyed the place now.

Edit
You brought back some fond memories of my grandma. I remember when we would visit, she would wake me up at the crack of dawn and send me out to the hen house to get eggs for breakfast while she cooked up some bacon or fatback and made biscuits. I would then help her by constantly sturring the big pan of milk/flour gravy on her wood stove while she fried up eggs in the bacon or fatback grease. I still make that breakfast every now and then because it's just so good. She had a kitchen just like you discribed lots of windows and a door that led to the main house and a door that led to the outside. I guess my grandma's house could have been considered upscale since it had a two holer outhouse instead of just one:)

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What about cooking on a wood stove in the summer?

I was reading on the Lehman's website where someone stuck a small rocket stove inside the wood stove to heat up just the front burn plate on the wood stove without having to stoke the entire wood stove and heat up the kitchen. I know our Amish friends have a outdoor wood stove to cook on during the summer. It's basically on a cement slab with open walls and a roof right off the kitchen. I'm not sure if they only have one stove that they move outside during the summer then back inside during the winter or not though.

https://www.lehmans.com/product/pioneer-princess-wood-cookstove
Screenshot_2018-10-24-23-47-58.png

Last edited: