Looking to move

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm fixing breakfast for dinner tonight. Eggs bacon, gravy & biscuits. So might be a good time to have a conversation about:

120 acres in Alaska, thats never been mined, with breath taking views of snow capped mountians, with a 1800 sq ft log house dried in and wood stove, sitting on a lake that your can drink from, that's approximately 35 miles north of the artic circle and accessable by float or ski plane. No taxes (income, sales, property) and not a soul around for miles in any direction and where you won't have to worry about meat or water and you can do whatever you want, whenever you want.

<--- I'm warming up.

How's that for a run on sentence :rolleyes: sure am glad we don't have Grammer police on this forum.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
She's a great woman with a wonderful head on her shoulders! But - you still got a WIN! I foresee wonderful Alaskan vacations in your future.

Yep I'm gonna trademark her ™.

I got the exact longitude and lattitue today. I found the house on Google maps but you can only see the brown roof zoomed in and that's it. You can also see where they cut spruce to build the house and also where they peeled the logs and cut them to length.

The red arrow points to the house. You can also see where they cut a trail from the lake to the river. The black on top is the large lake, which belongs to the state of Alaska. I believe all waterways are state property.
IMG_20181207_204012.jpg

Here's a good zoomed out view of the surrounding wilderness. The dark blue water is very deep water. This is a mountain we're talking about, not at all flat lands.
IMG_20181207_204115.jpg

Sumi wanted snow so she's gonna have to come for a visit. Bring your .45 though that's about all I can say.

More zoomed out, bettles is on the bottom left, the white mouse pointer is approx where the property is. You can see the property is atop a mountain bluff, with steep cliffs on the right of the picture.
IMG_20181207_211417888.jpg

I'm really excited about this - if you couldn't already tell. I envision myself spending weeks at a time out there, doing whatever it is I want to do, whenever I want to do whatever it is I wanted to do.:cool:

Last edited:

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
CC, I've got a friend in Wisconsin who has a place up in Canada accessible only by float plain. It's a fishing camp. I've only been able to go there once, but it's an absolutely gorgeous place. I absolutely love it there. I can link you up if you want to talk to people very experienced with dealing with owning and maintaining property that far out. I am certain you two would have a great conversation. I think they are there the entire summer, and spend the winter in Wisconsin. He'd be a good person to ask how they made it work.

My husband keeps telling me, "We're NOT moving to Alaska." Ive been reading him your descriptions. He only heard "arctic circle":th I told him that i never said WE were moving there... I'm way more excited about your idea than i have any right to be, but I sooo want to visit!:D

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Is there a house? You have said you want to live in such a "nowhere, wooded, quiet" place. Maybe this has been calling you?

Is it ALL wooded? Where would you garden?

Most importantly, can you get internet????? :lol:

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No phones, no lights, no motor cars,
not a single luxury;
like Robinson Crusoe,
it's primitive as can be.
Good golly, now I have it stuck in my head!
I actually watched 3 hours of Gilligans hour on Sunday :hide

I was washing, slicing and prepping tomatoes from the garden to dehydrate for my chickens this winter and couldn't find the remote for the kitchen tv. :lol:
They are the last of the season tomatoes and are a little marked up and not good enough quality for me to can or cook with. Hopefully the chickens will like them - this is the first time i am trying this. I want to extend the orange yolks of summer as long as i can.;)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes -- but really wanted to know if we were being "divorced" in his move to "nowhere". :lol: You know, no power, no electric and all that...

Wife loves the property. But I wouldn't move her out there until I built a house. We have been talking about going off grid for a while now. We could get Electricty off the line but it's a good 1/2 mile away. I've had plans for several years tucked away in my thoughts folder for a water wheel generator. I believe I could utlize the creek to generate some if not all of our electricity. Expecially if we ran all LED lighting and didn't have any appliences that consumed alot of electricity like centeral air, electric stove or electric hot water heater. For heat we have a wood stove and I would like to get a water stove to heat water and supply heat to the house. For internet we could use carrier pigeons :lol or ISDN like we have now.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband is from around Beckley, West Virginia. His family has been there for generations. Hubby says that when they would spend the night at the old homestead house his aunt did most of the cooking on the wood cook stove. He loved the cornbread cooked in that stove.

The kitchen has lots of windows that could be opened, as well as a door. It's attached, but separate from the rest of the house. That helps keep the heat away in the summer.

When last we visited, we drove over and saw the house. It's been well taken care of by the family who several still live right around it. Candles for lights and fireplace on the ground floor for heat. Outhouse was about 100 feet away. There was a pump and well installed back in the 50s and a single pipe run into the kitchen.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you successfully get a contract on this property, it would be at least a year to clear & build? Or would you live in a camper and work it while there? Guess you'd keep 2 properties going for a while, at least.

When I built this one, I bought a used little camper trailer to live in here while I built. Was on site to make sure contracted people worked, I did most interior finishing once framed out, etc. Occasionally I'd go into town and spend a night at the condo home, do some packing, etc. Then turned that over to buyers and stayed at farm to finish the house & moved in. It's an experience. :D I'd been working in/with construction for several years, so knew what I had to know for permits, inspections, contracts & materials. Already had all the needed wholesale supplier accounts, etc. Not something I'd want to do again, now -- but could muddle thru. Been almost 20 years.