Looking to move

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hate when that happens! It is tough to take when you get all excited about the place. I know you will find an even better place, maybe even a place with a fenced garden area!

We were the "high" bidders for the place we have now. Seller had a 40 acre homestead and was willing to split it. We offered to buy 25 acres plus the house with an option to buy the rest of the property when we sold our house in Wyoming. The other bidders only wanted 10 acres and the house; 10 acres is as small as you can go for rural ag-zoned property in our county. The seller received 2 offers on Saturday, the first day she had it "officially" listed for sale. DH was the second on e to see it and she had 8 viewings on that first day. We didn't find out until Monday that we got it. I never even saw it until the day before we signed for the sale 3 months later and didn't move in until 5 months later.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm looking at 120 acres, plus a weathered in log house. The house is completely unfinished inside. Roof, doors, windows, wood burner are in however. It's in Alaska, on a large lake, with spectaculr views, accessable via float plane, 4 wheeler or snowmobile, with no niehbors for miles in any direction. If you want to visit me, you'll have to skydive in until I cut a 4 wheller trail into the nearest town :lol

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well... It seems we have tentatively reached price, terms and conditions of the property and mineral rights. So now I just need to go and see the property for myself. Which i promised to do by the end of February and then finalize everything, and sign on the dotted line and pay a big wad of cash. I guess i may need to pack some long johns hu?

Like I said no roads, no electricty, no running water, no gas heat, no nothing but a weathered in log home with a wood stove. Everything will have to be flown in.

I'm super excited to go and see the property with my own eyes and.meet my potential 13 new neighbors. If i like it which I already do and I can finalize everything with the owner. Do you think my wife will be surprised when I tell her that we are moving approximately 35 north of the artic circle or will she tell me bye, have fun? I haven't told her yet - it's a surprise :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In my wildest dreams (nightmares? LOL) I could not do what you suggest you WANT to do. Maybe a month long vacay there would give you more insight? DW might feel that as an option -- uh, once she finds out about it. :caf

You need to move that "go see" trip up -- the suspense is KILLING me!! :lol: :barnie Does the seller still live in Alaska? This is like reading a book and wanting to skip to the last chapter!! :D

:lol: ok some more information that I really shouldn't share but I will. The property is owned by my boss at work. He is getting ready to retire. His initial intentions were to retire and live on this property with his wife. This is the reason he built the log house 10 years ago. But life has a way of changing your plans... His wife is having medical issues and he told me he is getting up there in age and doesn't think he could handle the physical demands of this type of lifestyle now.

He does not live there now, nor has he ever lived there permently. He used it for hunting a few times a year. No one in his family is interested in purchasing the property. My boss really likes me and he's a great boss. So he's offering it to me for a song and a dance. With the stipulation that he can continue to hunt and stay in the house he built, a few times a year.

As a matter of fact he has told me several times over the years, that I'm free to hunt and stay in the house anytime I want. Like I said he's a great guy and I would have zero problems with him staying with us whenever he wants to. Heck we would enjoy the company.

That's the background, anyways...

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Little more about the property. I was told it's breath takingly beatuful. He said you can hike miles in any direction and not find evidence that a human has ever been there. Totally unmolested wilderness, with views of snow capped mountain peaks in the near distance, breathtaking.

He also told me meat would be a non issue, 1 bull moose, would feed me for a year, throw in a bear or carabo and fish from the lake or river for a change and your all set for meat. Water is also a non-issue, drink all you want right from the lake. He said he praticed 1 rule when he and his family hunted there. Pack out what you pack in, so the place is super clean no garbage or anything like that. He said I would need to build a food cash because it's definitely bear & wolf country.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I guess I want the illusion of "out there" but not so far out that I can't drive home on a good road. Access by snow mobile or airplane is too isolated for me. If you get the place, we will have to come for a visit.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep -- your wife has the RIGHT idea!! She knows you like a book, read several times over. :lol: You boys can go up there &, well, do what you want, when you want.

We still want to see pics! Bet your wife is still chuckling. :D