Lorihadams-- hi guys...been busy!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Lori, the house is beautiful! I would never have guessed it was a trailer except that -you mentioned it, and -its in two peices. I really don't think your neighbour/relatives should be concerned. It looks lovely from the road!! What an awesome property and location!!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the pics! And such a beautiful site!

We looked at a farm with a small shed used for a goat barn. I wanna say the "barn" was about 12 x 12 (TR paced it off) when we were considering the place. The owners had Nigerians. The barn had a loft for straw and hay storage. Half the barn was set up with pens, with a separate area for kidding. The barn was painted on the outside and trim to match the old farmhouse. Anyway, it seemed to work well for them.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Hi everyone, well, the plumbing is in! It was really easy for our buddy to hook up....it's all on one side of the house and is in a straight line! We laughed and asked him if it was the easiest job he ever had! He is also working up a quote for a metal barn for us.

Gina, our house faces due west. We get to sit on our porch every evening and watch the sunset. Our garden is going to go in front of the house. We get full sun almost all day so we are thinking of planting some apple trees near the edge of the garden on one side to give a little break from the sun. AND, it just so happens that Home Depot had a 50% off sale today.

I got 6 blueberry bushes--3 jersey and 3 duke for $6.98 each and they are already 3-4 feet tall and setting fruit! I also picked up a golden delicious and a red delicious apple tree that were normally $40 for $19.97 each. They are enormous.....had I known I would be doing this I would have brought the trailer. Oh well, the kids got to ride home in a forest! The guy from HD looked at me like I was crazy when I told him I could get all of it in my durango. I got it to fit.....couldn't see my children in the back seat for all the apple branches......they are about 7-8 ft tall already. :hide

I paid $85 cash for it all from the money we got selling Maddie's old crib. Chad was not amused. Oh well, he'll get over it......I'm NOT taking them back.

I also picked up some paint samples for the house, we are going to paint the living room/kitchen the same color we just painted this house. Maddie can't decide whether she wants purple or light blue now and Tyler wants either turquoise or red???? My children are crazy. I think everything else will be some sort of neutral color.

Don't know what we'll do about the barn. I would be happy with the horse shed/run-in type barn. They have one for a little less than $8000 delivered, with board and batten siding that has 2 10x12 stalls and an 8x12 storage room. Chad just wants a big old barn with lean tos and stuff and I think I could get by with less. He could build a garage with the money leftover if we went that route. I don't know what we'll do. Do you think that would work for 6 nigis?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our home faces the west as well. At first I thought...wow, this will be great, I can sit on the front porch and watch the sunset. Well...in the summer, I cant even USE the front door...the handle sometimes gets too hot to grab!! We will Definately be planting trees for shade.
What a great deal on those plants...wow! I had to giggle thinking of your kids rideing home in a "forest" That alone would have made me want to go through some sort of drive through...just for the looks it would generate! LOL
As for the barn...that would work great for 6 nigis. Seriously...you could easily add lean-to's of hubby wants them...but I dont think it would be needed. I like the walk through barns..and wish I had one. They just seem so airy, and open...and sunny. Definately a place I would spend a lot of time.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My front door faces east and the back of my house is west. I was just wondering about where you will be putting your gardens and such. Sounds like it will be getting plenty of sun.

I think I am a bit obsessed with homestead planning right now. There is a piece of land in Mo. we looked at. It has a huge metal building. I already have the whole thing drawn out. From the shape of the drive, where I would plant my orchard, garden and where the house would go. Ahhh one can dream right?

So obviously those 8 foot apples you crammed into your car are not bare root? I wish I could get blue berries to grow here. I have not had much luck.

sounds fun!!

gina

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Well, the family is invading my house again this weekend. Gonna try to get the porch finished and hopefully get the rest of the fence posts set.

Got 2 loads of laundry on the line and hubby has a dentist appt today. I have fasting bloodwork wednesday (the same day my duck eggs are due to hatch, grrrrr) but I will be anxious to see what my results are. It is just my annual checkup. My blood pressure and cholesterol are usually pretty good. My BP is usually a little low, actually. Gotta talk to the doc about some issues. Ever since the fibro diagnosis my libido has plummeted to nothing. I want to get my hormone levels checked buy my OB doesn't think its necessary, she thinks its mental. :somad

I'm over it, hubby is DEFINITELY OVER IT.

I am definitely thinking of going smaller on the barn to see if we can put in a garage....we just want a one car enclosed with a 2 car carport on the side.

Our front porch is perfect cause it shades the door. Our current house faces east and in the evenings we can't touch our back door either. It's awful. We definitely want to plant some shade trees, hubby wants a couple of bradford pears but they break so easily, I don't know. I would love to have a couple of maples on either side of the house.

The other thing about this house that I love is that all the windows have screens....our current house doesn't. If I open the windows here the cats jump in and we get lots of bugs. I would love to be able to sleep with the windows open and a good breeze coming through.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's the best. My dh went on a screen fixing mission a couple weeks ago. We had left the dog locked on the porch a few months back. He riped 8 out of 12 screens. :somad I love having my windows open at night. My SIL is so paranoid she won't let her kids on the second floor sleep with their windows open. Kinda sad.

gina