Lorihadams-- hi guys...been busy!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Congrats on the change to CFLs. Our electric bill went down by 1/3...but I think part of that was also because Titan keeps the lights on when he leaves a room!! :lol:

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Well, today is my MIL's birthday and she is officially a senior citizen today! :lol:

We took her out for lunch at Olive Garden and then went to Walmart so she could get a new pair of shoes and I could get a new hairdryer cause mine died yesterday.

We are planning on meeting her for breakfast in the morning cause she just left to go spend tonight at her brother's house.

Been busy these last couple days finishing MIL's other quilt and dang it all I forgot to take a picture of it. Crap.

I have been on a marathon sewing binge. As soon as she walked in the door last night she handed me a robe that she has had for 20 years and it ripped down the seam. She said "I know it looks ratty but this is my favorite robe ever and I've had it for 20 yrs and my sewing machine is broken so could you please sew this back together for me please???"

I said "well, I'll trade ya...." Then I gave her the quilt and sewed her robe up real quick. Took me longer to pick out a stitch than it did to sew it up. :p

We talked to our builder and so far we are up to about $7k on the garage and attached carport. Both will be 30x30. That is the price so far for the trusses, roof materials, and concrete. We are looking at probably $20-$25K but we are hoping to get some of the costs down by helping do some of the work ourselves. We plan on refinancing our house loan from the new house once our old house sells on WEDNESDAY!!!!

We will still be well under the cost of our old house with the added expense of the garage and we are hoping to do a 15 yr mortgage instead of a 30. We'll see what the figures will be, they may let us do a 20yr mortgage if the 15 doesn't look feasible. My goal is to pay at least one extra mortgage payment every year. I was reading that if you pay one extra mortgage payment every year it will cut the life of your loan by 4 years!!! Hard to believe.

My goal is to get the remaining car loan paid off and then start working on the mortgage. I would love to pay it off in 10-15 years before my children start thinking about college. My oldest will be 6 next month. We were talking and we would love to buy land somewhere. 2 counties over from us the land is really rural and virtually undeveloped. Down the road it might be nice to have a fat piece of land that we could divide up between our children someday or have to sell later or even move to eventually if we ever decide to give this place to one of the children.

It's nice to dream isn't it?

I just really want to work on paying down our debt. I don't want to get in the situation with our credit cards again. Our new credit card bill came in the mail and we were able to get our charges down to $370 for the month. We only charge gas on the card. I think Chad put something else on there too but we had gotten into the habit of putting around $1000 and sometimes as much as $1800 a month on there. Paying off this credit card has really been a blessing.

Bad news is that we need a new hot water heater in the new house. That won't be too bad though...our plumber is coming Monday to look at it and see if the old one can be repaired or if we would be better off getting a new unit since this one is 8yrs old. We think the thermostat or one or both of the elements is going bad cause we just cannot get the temps to stabilize. One minute you get burnt and the next minute you don't even have enough hot water to bathe in. We should have enough money to pay cash for it though, I think he quoted us $600 installed. He says that 6-8 yrs is about the life of a hot water heater before they start to become inefficient and have problems.

Maddie is still at granny's and they just got papa's bloodwork back and he is diabetic. The day after they found out they went out to eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken.:he Seriously. I could smack him upside the head for that.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Wednesday

Tonka ran off yesterday while I was gathering eggs and didn't make it back until this morning....I posted details in the natural remedies section cause he is miserable today.

I went from 2 kids to 5 this morning at 6:30am and just got rid of the last one. The rain is changing over to ice so I don't know what is going to happen with the kids' classes at church tonight. If the roads start to freeze they won't go anywhere. The deck is already freezing up.

I'm supposed to tutor tonight at 4 but I am secretly hoping she won't need any help this week.

Hubby is at his dad's house helping him move hospital beds, they keep elderly people in their home round the clock and currently have 4 residents. They make an obscene amount of money each month from it but they have a 3-4000 sq ft home and the only person living there full time is FIL and the patients. They converted the formal dining room and one of the downstairs bedrooms and a sunroom into bedrooms for the patients. Crazy. The whole upstairs is empty. They want to sell it but haven't been able to yet.

We were supposed to close the sale of the house Friday but the real estate agent called this morning and because of the USDA loan it has been pushed back to next Friday. Gonna screw up my bills cause it was going to be timed just right to pay everything off by the due dates with the profit from the sale of the house but I'll have to wait until next month to do it or the payments will be late now. :barnie

I'm making a turkey pot pie for dinner and when hubby gets home I am going to soak in a tub full of epsom salts...the baby I'm keeping this week is teething and won't let me put him down all day long. My back is killing me.

We're still trying to decide what we're gonna do about the garage. We had planned on doing a 2 bay carport on a concrete pad and a one bay garage with a similar sized storage room for hubby's tools and the freezers so I can use the shed as my barn/feed gardening storage. We are gonna do the work on the shed ourselves but we are still trying to figure out how much the garage is gonna cost and if we really want to spend that much money right now or just buy or build a really big shed (which I think is silly). Even if we go up to $90000 on our mortgage if we are really disciplined we should be able to easily do a 15 yr mortgage and pay it off sooner than that.

Fingers crossed.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
15 year mortgage would be great! Hope it works out.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Yeah, I think it will....we just need to figure out what to do about the dang garage. We need some sort of storage space and a place indoors to process animals. Hubby also wants a separate space for his tools, which he deserves. He wants to get into woodworking....he has done a few projects and really enjoyed it.

We just have a hard time spending $20k on a garage. We are trying to think of ways to cut that cost down. We were thinking of doing a storage room, like 12x30 with an attached 30x30 carport. I'm thinking that would be cheaper and still get us what we need.

We are also offering to help out with the construction as much as possible to help with labor costs.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Just don't short yourself storage space. There is never enough!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
I just really want to work on paying down our debt. I don't want to get in the situation with our credit cards again. Our new credit card bill came in the mail and we were able to get our charges down to $370 for the month. We only charge gas on the card. I think Chad put something else on there too but we had gotten into the habit of putting around $1000 and sometimes as much as $1800 a month on there. Paying off this credit card has really been a blessing.
Have you checked into Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover? The information provided in the financial workshop we just took at our church came mostly from this book and from Enough by Adam Hamilton (a Methodist minister in Kansas, I think).