Lorihadams-- hi guys...been busy!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Thanks guys....we had a good time at granny's and I forgot that I tutor on Wednesdays so when I pulled into the driveway my tutoree :p pulled in right behind me.

My daughter has worms. Both of them....Frawg and Madelyn. I saw white worms in Frawgs's poop today and my DD has been itching and digging for 2 weeks and it just dawned on me....worms. Granny and I looked with a flashlight and found eggs in her rectum so the whole family gets meds tomorrow. The dogs get dewormed Friday morning.

Fun stuff.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I hate to chuckle...but my mother always told me that I was the one that always brought worms home:) She started deworming us once a year...just because she knew I'd bring them home somehow...LOL!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
:sick Well, I watched an intestinal fluke crawl out of the puppy's rectum last night :sick

Why me? :th

I am so grossed out it is ridiculous. The puppy has a new crate and is in it until the worms are gone. I am waiting until everyone has had a day of treatment to start cleaning everything in this house. I am thinking of putting some DE in the kids sandbox to be on the safe side. My daughter will not keep her hands out of her mouth.

I am having to wrestle her to the sink and wash her hands after she touches the dog, kisses the dog, scratches her butt, etc. This is gonna be a challenge. I'm already ready to go lay on a beach somewhere. I have a beekeeping meeting tonight so that will be a welcome break.

I have already done one load of towels and now I am going to go wash another load. If I wash everything in hot water and dry it on high in the dryer I am hoping I will kill everything.

The pharmacy just called and the manufacturer is out of the worm meds. She had to call a bunch of pharmacies and she finally located one box of meds in another county so she is transferring the prescription to them.

I am so over this it is ridiculous. :hit I just want to cry. My poor daughter has circles under her eyes and is pale and not herself at all. I am wondering how long she has had this. My husband is acting like this is the most absurd thing he has ever heard of and says he has never heard of people getting worms....are you kidding me? What rock does he live under. It makes me so mad and he just assumes that everything is my fault cause I'm with them all day long but I can't keep her from sticking her fingers in her mouth every time....she's 3.

I'm just done.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hang in there Lori. Have you made any smoothies with DE yet. I would start on a couple of those while you are waiting.

It happens.

Did these come from the new pup? I would not let her play with it any more. Until it's been on meds for a few days.

:idunno

This too shall pass. :hugs

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Most likely the pup has roundworms and the kiddo has pin worms (which is a variety of roundworm)

Kids pick up pin worms from other kids, usually not new puppies. If she has them to the stage of egg laying she has had them for a few weeks already.

How do I know this stuff? I raised a thumb sucking child and been de-wormed a few times already ourselves! :lol:

The pup will need to be de-wormed on a weekly basis for a while. We use Panacur for our Sage pup. He was FULL of worms when we got him. We also put him on heart worm preventative as well. Pups can become infected with roundworms from their mother, either through contact or her milk. That is why it is important to de-worm pups early.

The kid picked hers up from contact with human fecal matter. Sounds worse than it is, cause that stuff literally blankets our planet any where people live and abound. (See Myth Busters if you don't believe me.)

Pin worms lay their eggs at the anus and it is itchy, so folks scratch. Then away the eggs go to the next victim. Possibly from the handle of a doorknob or the shopping cart at your local grocery store. :sick

Kids with hands in mouths, like my thumb sucker, are ripe targets. Like they say... it happens. By the way our worm pills were a nice orange flavor! :gig

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Ewwwwhewhewwwwwwwwwww! I know it happens, but thankfully I have not had to deworm my kids :sick I raised a DEVOUT thumbsucker until she went to school. That kid ate more crap that anybody just from having her fingers in her mouth all the time :th Sorry for you! Hope you get the meds quickly and it all gets taken care of SOON!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Tell your DH that you can get pinworms by pumping gas and then chewing off a hangnail :sick
They are that transferrable.
And, they are quite common.

I think alot of people just prefer to be ignorant of things, so they do not have to be responsible.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm on my second round of towels in the washing machine right now. I feel like she probably has pinworm or roundworms...the yellow egg looking things were kinda big to be pinworms. The dog either has intestinal flukes or hookworm....looks like a flattened piece of rice or a really white piece of orzo pasta.

No, she got these way before the dog came to us. She has been complaining that her butt itched for 2 weeks now but the last week has been bad enough that she isn't sleeping well and she's been lethargic, her appetite is off, energy level not what it usually is, and she is pale with dark circles under her eyes. She could have had this for a while.

She is one of those kids that picks her nose and then puts it in her mouth. Don't judge me, it happens. :hide

She forever has her hands in her mouth and she refuses to wash her hands after she poops. We originally thought the itching was a cleanliness issue but when it just got worse it dawned on me what it was. On a side note, she thinks it is very funny that she has eggs in her butt..."like a chicken" :th

We have an outdoor cat and so do the neighbors and we have a sandbox in the back yard....the kids are notorious for leaving the cover off of it so they very well could have picked it up from there.

She never wears shoes, always plays in the dirt....remember the oompa loompa pics from September? could have gotten them from that too. They are everywhere and back in the summertime they fell in the pond out back and I'm sure they could have inhaled something there too. Who knows?

My BF's DD just came home from school with lice and I keep telling my husband that it is just like getting lice. Doesn't mean that you aren't clean it just means you were unlucky enough to pick them up somewhere.

How much DE do I put in a smoothie? My DD won't drink them but the rest of us will. I have also been slack about Tonka's heartworm meds, which kill parasites too, and need to refill his meds and put the puppy on them when I go tomorrow.

Hey, I guess it just comes with the territory when you move into the middle of a cow pasture, huh?

I called granny and she is stripping all the beds and washing everything at her house too.

Frawg is in her crate....last night was awful. She cried so much she actually sounds hoarse today. Hubby finally got up and put a towel over the crate and then banged the door when she piped up and it scared her enough that she stopped for a while and went to sleep. I'm trying to either put her on the porch or in the crate for a half hour every hour to get her used to it. The kids just don't want to leave her alone.

Is it time for my meeting yet??? :rolleyes:

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:hugs worms suck. sorry your going through this! Have fun at the meeting tonight. I would suggest not giving your husband DE, and see how long it takes for him to get the worms, and then accuse him of being dirty :D