Lorihadams-- hi guys...been busy!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
LOL yep, we didn't buy beef for 2 years - but it was just the two sometimes three of us eating it. No kids yet. LOL I'm sure one heifer/steer would only feed my family for a year at a time now!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
So my older original hen, Etta, is not doing well. The last two nights she has been under the duck house instead of in the coop....she is very thin and wants to keep her head down and eyes closed. She doesn't feel egg bound and I put her in a cat carrier with some ACV water and some warm oatmeal with some goats milk and a sprinkling of flock raiser but she doesn't want to eat or drink right now. I may take her inside for the night if she still is hanging in there this evening when the temps get cooler. Right now she is in the barn cause the temps are in the 70s and warmer outside than inside the house. I tried pouring some water down her beak and dipping her beak in the oatmeal mixture but she doesn't seem interested. I dunno....:fl

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Sorry about Etta. I lost two hens this summer during the high heat days. They were part of my original hens as well. I still have 4 originals left but these two (both EE's) went within days of each other so I truely believe it was age. My other 4 are a different breed and are still laying occasionally. Its really sad to lose those original hens isn't it?

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Well, my 6 yr old wanted to go out and check on Etta and sadly, she had passed. When Chad got home I got him to dig a grave and his friend said some nice words and after wrapping her in a feed bag, we buried her behind the chicken run so the oher ladies could walk by and pay their respects. Tyler is really sad, he just cried and cried and talked about how Etta was such a good chicken....he buried a clover with her. We put a large rock on top of the grave and Tyler got a black marker and wrote Etta with a big red heart and then "BFF" on it. Poor baby....he just buried his head in my stomach and squeezed me half to death during the burial....lord help us when Tonka dies....here's a pic of Tyler and Etta

100_2032.jpg

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Is this the first time your boy has had to deal with the death of a 'friend'? I'm so sorry for him. :hugs

I'm sure Etta is happier now that she is out of pain.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Thanks everyone....Tyler named our other nameless production reds "new Etta"

We have had some losses this year but this is the first real loss of a long term buddy, so to speak. I just looked at my husband and said "this is gonna kill me when we have to bury Tonka" (our 11 yr old lab who hopefully lives 20 more years)

We lost our chocolate lab Maggie a little over a year ago but she ran off and never returned and we never could find her. That was huge cause there really was no closure. Tyler asked me the other day if they were really good and asked Santa really nicely would he bring Maggie back. Broke my heart....:hit

I told him last night that we would get the Meyer catalog and I would let them each pick out 2 chicks that we could raise next spring. I want to get some different breeds anyway to add to our flock. Hubby was unenthusiastically supportive.