Lorihadams-- hi guys...been busy!

Tractor girl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
LOL at the kids eating a lot. Just wait until they are teenagers. I remember my brother as a teenager. One day I saw him take three oranges and four hotdogs into his room for an after school snack.
By providing all those good things to your children (I've read this entire thread and know that you feed them the good stuff), you are building healthy bodies. It's expensive, but so worth it.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I can't believe anyone has read my entire journal....:p Thanks Tractorgirl!

Well, we had a good weekend with Granny and Papa. We watched the show Ridiculousness on MTV with them and I thought we all were gonna laugh our freakin butts off! If you have never watched it, look for it...it's like America's Funniest Home Videos with adult commentary. Hilarious!

We had a very productive weekend, hubby went hunting all day Saturday and got 2 does!!! I went Saturday evening and ending up stalking and missing a nice doe with my Papa's muzzleloader. It was just so heavy in the front that I couldn't keep it steady without anything to rest it on and ending up shooting high. I was a little ticked off.

The good news is that we have a refrigerator full of deer that needs to be ground and cut up and put in the freezer. The bad news.....we have a refrigerator full of deer that needs to be ground and cut up and put in the freezer. :lol:

The meadow vole is, alas, dead. Tyler buried him in some leaves in the backyard.

Saturday we loaded up Bethoron and took her to the breeder and dropped her off. She was so impressed with how she looked she said "can I send all my goats home with you for a couple of months cause they all come back looking so GOOD!" I was very excited because she agreed with me on which buck to breed her with and I'm sooooooooo excited. William Edgar is a solid gold colored buck with Tom Thumb Rosasharon lines....very good stock. He's short and stocky and very wide in the chest, a perfect fit for Bethoron who is taller and a little narrow in the chest and is fawn and white so we could get some interesting coloring on the babies if (WHEN) she gets pregnant.

Sunday my daughter announced to me that she was going home with Granny. Well, I just paid for gymnastics lessons that start tonight. I talked to her for a bit and she was adamant that she was going to Granny's. Well, granny is facing another surgery...carpal tunnel is setting up in her hand below the shoulder that she just had surgery on. They want to go in and fix that nerve issue before she loses any more function in that hand. She could go as soon as one week from now or as long as 2-3 weeks so I may have to come get the kids this week if that happens. Tyler decided he was going with her too so I packed up some light schoolwork for both of them and gave granny instructions for them daily and sent them on their way. She sent me some cute pics of them last night taking a bubble bath together in the "cuzzi tub"

As soon as they left I got to work on going through my fabric stash and trying to figure out what to do for xmas gifts for the girls next door. I made a quilt top (5ftx7ft) for our oldest cousin, she's 14, and did it in the Gee's Bend quilt style. It looks very modern and I'll try to post a pic later. I also quilted and finished a little purse for the youngest cousin next door, she's 6. So today I get to go through my stash some more and I'm planning on making another quilt for my brother for xmas. It will be a replica of his house. It is very boxy and has commercial windows but I'm planning on doing the front section of the house as a quilt. I need to plan out the dimensions and get all the measurements figured out cause I know I'm gonna have to go to the fabric store to get something in a blue-gray to use for the windows. I'm pretty sure I have enough fabric to do the white or off white front of the house. I need to get batting and backing for both quilts too.

I don't know what to do with no children in the house....it's weird.

I'm thinking that I may work on my finger puppets tonight after dinner for BF's daughter. I'm just trying to get as much sewing out of the way while I suddenly have big chunks of time to work on stuff and the room to lay it out without the kids tromping all over it. :p

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Well, here's the purse, you can see the quilting on the bottom, the entire purse is quilted except for the flap closure cause I've found that if I put batting in it it just doesn't stay closed as well. I made it from fabric I had leftover from my daughter's apron.

100_7326.jpg

And here's the quilt top....the colors are very subdued but I really like the way it turned out. I think it will look really nice once it is quilted. I'm thinking of doing it with the clear thread on top since the colors are so different. I plan on quilting it in 2-3 inch vertical stripes top to bottom to give it some nice texture. It is dark purple, gray, white, black and green. Odd color combo but I took inspiration from the quilts of Gee's Bend. If you have never seen them or read the history of Gee's Bend you should, it is a wonderful story and the original quilts are fantastic and very utilitarian and tie in perfectly with SS.
100_7325.jpg

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
The purse is cool!!!!I just love the quilt top!!!!!! And definitely the colors!!!!!! Have fun!!!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Its amazing how much you can get done when the little ones are not under foot. Everything looks great!!

I'm thinking about maki8ng some doll clothes for the American Girl Dolls for Christmas. I better get started.

Good to hear your goatie is going to have a handsome buck. How long does she stay with the breeder?

Have a great day.

g

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Well, hey there Gina....I'd have answered you sooner but I've been knee deep in deer meat for the last 2 1/2 hours putting up the 2 does Chad got Saturday.

We let everything chill in the fridge since Saturday and today I ended up with 21 lbs of ground meat, a small shoulder roast, the tenderloins separated into 3 bags, and 4 beautiful hind quarter steaks that are marinating in olive oil and montreal steak seasoning for dinner tonight :drool

I must have been crazy to tackle all that myself. :smack

My shoulders are killing me but I'm contemplating going out to sit in the woods this evening after I get the clothes off the line and get a shower cause man, I stink from the processing.

To answer your question, I think Bethoron will be there until at least tomorrow. Today would have been 21 days from when I showed her the buck rag and she promptly yelled her head off and then slammed Aliana into the fence. Hard. Twice. She then started bawling her head off and pacing but I couldn't get her to the breeder that day so I had to wait another cycle cause the next morning she could have cared less about the buck rag.

Barb is going to keep her in the pen all day today with William I think, and then see how she reacts to him. Hopefully he will bring her into heat and they will "get it on". If she doesn't do anything today then I imagine she will try again tomorrow. We brought her up there Saturday afternoon and she said she would walk William over Sunday afternoon to see how she reacted to him. She has 2 Saanens in the breeding pens right now that are designated to be bred too so she had to put her in the backup isolation pen nearer the does. Not what we had hoped but the people showed up with the Saanens Friday and we didn't have a choice.

I don't know how long she'll keep her....I told her to give me a call and let me know how she did but I don't know....we'll see.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Thanks Rathbone!

Yesterday I did end up going hunting but had only one small doe or button buck, couldn't quite tell, circle me for an hour. :rolleyes: I think I will try to go this evening again if all goes well but I'll sit in a different stand. We are supposed to go to Chad's cousin's house for dinner at 5:30 tonight so if I get one we'll have to field dress it, save the innards in bag for M, and just let it hang in the garage till we can get back from dinner. It should be fine temperature wise this evening if that happens but I usually don't see deer in the stand I'm going to until about 15-20 minutes before sundown so we might be pushing it if they come out late and I end up getting one.

Hubby went nutso over the steaks I fixed last night. I swear, that man is so simple. Give him a steak, a carton of ice cream and some "boom boom" and he's a happy man.

Today I'm hoping to plan out the quilt top for my brother's quilt and maybe get down to the fabric store once I know how much I'll need. I'm hoping to get it done tomorrow if I can get all the fabric today. Once I get it cut out putting it together will be fairly simple. I can't wait to get it started. I enlarged the copy of the picture of the housefront that I had so maybe that will help me get the dimensions worked out. I get to test my math skills this morning. :p Now, where's my ruler?

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Lets see, I finished the quilt top for my brothers quilt Wednesday night and now just have to figure out what I'm gonna do for the backing for both quilts. I may see what scraps I have left and do a Gee's Bend quilt for him too. It was pretty easy to put together.

I'm happy with the "house quilt" and it really does look like his house. :p The kids come home today and we have company. One of Chad's friends came and spent the night last night and went hunting with him this morning...they just got back. BF and her family came over last night for dinner and we all had a good visit.

Today we are just gonna hang out for a bit and then go hunting again this afternoon.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Been a few days.... hurt my back Saturday moving the chicken tractor. It got hung on something and when I pulled it gave way and I wrenched my back. I've been laying around ever since.

Yesterday I worked on some stuff for my BF's little girl for xmas and then did some stocking stuffer tic tac toe games for everybody. They turned out really cute. I did a felt storyboard for her with two different sets of scenery and characters, one sea life and one forest. They turned out cute and super easy to do. Here's pics

100_7331.jpg

100_7332.jpg

100_7334.jpg

The felt sticks to itself so she can change the scenery around and move everything to fit her own made up stories. The tic tac toe boards are just two pieces of felt sewn together to make a pocket, then the grid is glued on and the felt game pieces go inside the pocket.

Today I have to get all the school stuff straight for the kids. They just made their own sandwiches and are having a picnic out on the porch as we speak so when they finish we will start doing some work. Tyler already did some reading this morning with his color by number books, he did 4 of them this morning. They want to start Wind in the Willows today so we will do that a little later.

Latest posts