Lorihadams-- hi guys...been busy!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I love bunny suprises, I had one myself a few weeks ago. :D And I love fish too, mom got Sis a tank for christmas and she has two goldfish and an algae eater in there, its very peaceful!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
I love bunny suprises, I had one myself a few weeks ago. :D And I love fish too, mom got Sis a tank for christmas and she has two goldfish and an algae eater in there, its very peaceful!
I agree. I was actually looking at tanks not too long ago. I love having my pond in the backyard, but I can only see the fish if they're not hiding. But, when I have the time, I like nothing better than to sit there and watch them.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
So, besides a chicken on every plot, we should have a fish tank in every house?

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I agree...I loved having a fish tank in the house when we had cats in the house cause then it was free live entertainment!!! I agree that it is peaceful too...sometimes we just need to sit still and do nothing and looking at a tank full of fish swimming is the perfect thing to do.

Maddie loves her tank and I am disappointed with the neons...we are down to 2 but she doesn't seem fazed at all. She loves having something special in her room and she announces to everyone when she feeds them "breakfast and dinner"

Going to take Maddie to Granny and Papa's house in a bit after breakfast. Gonna try to get some barn boards off the pit house today too. Meaties are destined for the freezer tomorrow and wouldn't ya know it, the temps are supposed to drop 20 degrees tonight. Lovely. :rolleyes:

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Meaties are done :bun, freezer is packed, hubby and his uncle got 2 more deer that we donated to another family along with the use of our grinder, Aliana had to go back to the breeder for a week cause she is still not pregnant :he, saw a coyote in the back yard sniffing around the chicken blood so we baited a trap, Maddie is back from Granny and papa's so she can go roller skating with friends tonight and I'm exhausted as usual. :D

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
No sign of the coyote since the first sighting and everyone is well. Aliana is bred and we are going to the breeder to deliver her some hay on Friday and pick her back up. I miss my girl!

I trimmed hooves yesterday and gave everyone a good brushing. The bunnies are doing well for now and I'm keeping my eye on my white doe that I suspect/hope is pregnant. Supposed to get colder this weekend and I'll need to put the nesting box in with her Saturday...it figures. She's eating like a horse and seems to be getting bigger and rounder. Once Feb 1 gets here we'll rebreed the rest of the does.

We have someone that wants to come buy 6 chickens from us so that will free up some space in the freezer for when the bunnies get here.

I went hunting on the last day of the season and didn't see a dang thing. Heard the neighbor's air compressor for about an hour though......:rolleyes:

I'm glad to not have a bunch of meat to worry about. We have a friend that is getting ready to get some pigs come springtime and I may see if we can get one from him come processing time. He lined up a deal to take produce from a local grocery store for "compost" and they are giving him huge bags of scraps and blemished stuff. He will use it to feed the pigs and go to compost as well.

I've been doing some sewing for hubby and the kids and today it is cold and rainy out and I just can't seem to get warm.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I got a wonderful surprise this morning.....TWO DUCK EGGS from the new girls!!!!! I'm so excited cause I didn't think they would lay for another month at least but I have somebody laying! One egg looked almost black and the other was a blackish blue. First eggs are often darker...they'll lighten up to a bluish color. The kids were really excited cause that means babies come springtime. I usually use one of my laying hens to hatch out a bunch of fertile runner duck eggs and then sell all the babies to help with feed costs.

I also am very excited that my white doe is pulling fur!!! Gonna be any day now...trouble is that I'm leaving to go out of town tomorrow afternoon. :(

I just hope everything goes well...our temps are supposed to dip into the 20s so I put a towel on the front of her cage on the side where the nesting box is to block out some of the wind/rain that they are calling for.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
two more runner eggs this morning!!! Both were lighter blue this morning so I know I have 2 girls out of the 3 that are laying at least but they all might be laying, who knows? I made pancakes with the duck eggs this morning and they were soooooooo good!

Still no bunny babies yet...she has pulled more fur though so I know she is getting close. We were supposed to leave tonight but I think we are going to wait and leave first thing in the morning so we can do another walk through the animal care with the neighbors tonight and in the morning. I did a walk through last night and I'm glad I wrote everything down for them cause they looked a little confused when it was all over. I think they will do fine but they looked a little nervous.

I'm thinking I am gonna put in an order for my chicks with Meyer next week. I just have to see if I need to order any more meaties for clients with my regular chickens. I'm also thinking that I will sell my big rooster and get one that is a smaller breed. I'm thinking of getting a trio of silver laced crested polish and keeping him since he will be smaller. I'm worried that my 10-12 lb current rooster is gonna beat up my runner ducks cause he is trying to mate anything that will stand still.

He seems pretty docile but I have caught him trying to pin one of the runners down and do the deed with her. I just don't want to lose any more ducks to unruly roos.