Lost Hydro for 12 hrs yesterday. You?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Your place looks just like ours does! We had that storm as well, but did you see that wonderful blue sky this morning with the snow sparkling on heavy laden branches hanging low, it was just breathtakingly beautiful! But now the cold has hit and we are down to about -20F at night...and not much better during the day...a cold snap...:(
Haven't lost power with this one though

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am also a no snow appreciating person. I love the mild NC winters. so easy to work outside and with livestock.

Our trouble is ice storms. not many, but we always have one that snaps lines and trees. we have a propane fireplace that keeps us super warm and lucky heats the whole house (rancher). And we have all stuff needed for a long power outage but they are never more than 1-2 days...one was 5 days and that was rough but survivable...mostly boring lol

Entropy1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The Weather Network is now calling for freezing rain this eve, better top off the chain saw. It wouldn't be the first time I've cut my way out.

Entropy

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Joel_BC said:
I've heard that there is a way to switch your home's 120v circuit breakers off of grid service and onto power from your generator. So you can plug into wall outlets. I do not have this set-up. But someone like sunsaver, here on SS, probably knows how it's done. (Although sunsaver himself probably relies on the power stored in his battery bank, from his solar panel system.)
That's how ours is. My hubby hooked it up himself. Our house is all electric, so it helps. If it happens when he's at work, I just start up my small generator if I need power for anything. He won't show me how to switch everything over since he's afraid I might kill myself.
Jeez, Deb!... You should get your hubby to post on SS here. See, that's what we need - more participation from the guys. The guys along with the gals.

We need that technical dialogue here. And not only about gardens, food prep, clothing, budgeting, bargains, etc - as important as these things are (and they are).

My humble opinion... :/

Entropy1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
How many of us guys are on here? Didn't come to pick up women, just learn and share. lol

Entropy

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Entropy1 said:
How many of us guys are on here? Didn't come to pick up women, just learn and share. lol

Entropy
I get the impression there are about eight or so who rotate through, on a fairly regular basis (every few days). I'm pretty new here... just a matter of weeks. So I tend to keep my computer logged-in, and just check back a few times during the day - I do home-based work, so that's easy.

Women seem to outnumber the guys, and definitely post more frequently.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Im a regular :D From what I can collect males that post semi regularily are 4 that I know of........

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
Denim Deb said:
Joel_BC said:
I've heard that there is a way to switch your home's 120v circuit breakers off of grid service and onto power from your generator. So you can plug into wall outlets. I do not have this set-up. But someone like sunsaver, here on SS, probably knows how it's done. (Although sunsaver himself probably relies on the power stored in his battery bank, from his solar panel system.)
That's how ours is. My hubby hooked it up himself. Our house is all electric, so it helps. If it happens when he's at work, I just start up my small generator if I need power for anything. He won't show me how to switch everything over since he's afraid I might kill myself.
Jeez, Deb!... You should get your hubby to post on SS here. See, that's what we need - more participation from the guys. The guys along with the gals.

We need that technical dialogue here. And not only about gardens, food prep, clothing, budgeting, bargains, etc - as important as these things are (and they are).

My humble opinion... :/
I doubt that he would. And, I don't really WANT him on here.

Latest posts