Low carb eaters.....

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know what you mean. Depressed, irritated, like I need a smoke. It DOES pass. Especially when you are giving your body good stuff to eat.

Oh freeeeee? Freemotion taught me the difference between low carb & low glycemic. For example, take apples. Apples don't spike your blood sugar as much as applesauce does. Applesauce doesn't spike your bloodsugar as much as real, no added anything apple juice does. Real applejuice doesn't spike your bloodsugar as much as the crud with high fructose corn syrup does. The closer to its normal form your fruit is, the better it is for you & the less likely it is to spike your sugar. I eat all kinds of fruit and have started passing up the juice. Mmmmm fiber

How old is your daughter? You should read THIS: http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2717

Does that mean granolaish stuff? I LOVE granola, but it's gonna take some getting used to for my hubby and daughter
Granola, sprouted wheat berries with milk & dried fruit, sprouted, dried & ground wheat for pancakes, lacto-fermented oatmeal. Those are our quick breakfast foods. I make up a bunch of pancakes when I get the urge to make them, and freeze what we don't eat. Couple seconds on each side in a skillet and done. Otherwise we eat eggs, meat & cheese for breakfast. With lots of veggies & fruit on the side.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ok, that sounds yummy!

I need to come live with you for awhile. Re-teach me how to cook.

My DD is 15. Oh and she knows everything there is to know about everything. Just ask her. What really sucks (and I have guilt about) is she's been in remission from brain cancer since last November. She's been fighting it since she was 8. I always wonder if I did this to her by giving her all the crap when she was younger. I'll never know, but I often wonder.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Nope, you need to move in with Wifezilla or Free :D They are the nutrition guru's round here. Miss_thenorth will give you some good advice, too. Big Brown Horse knows a lot and makes good choices, too. We all eat differently, you need to make your own choices based on what works for you.

Oh boy, I can't wait for my 2 to become teenagers... Ah the joys of parenthood.

You know, we've taken this pretty far off the low carb subject. :p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
what went wrong with weight watchers?

don't they have a "maintenance point schedule" to be eating once you hit goal weight?

number 1 for me would be "re-evaluate" how far I left the good WW plan that worked!

that aside, I am low carb eater.

I lost 70 lbs. on LA Weight Loss program. I ate everything. BUT the bagels, bread, pasta was very very limited----since I can not eat a little of this, I just said the heck with refined sugar and carbs. It was easiest for me.

I maintain my loss mainly by not eating carbs. When I do I bloat up and feel icky actually.......so my 1/2 bagel is 1 time per week, maybe a small baked potatoe every now and then, but for me, I usually use melba toast or delish fancy crackers along with flatout breads to make sandwiches etc.

other than a few carbs, I eat meat, cheese, tons of salads and veggies.

So key is----can WW work for you again. It did once. Did you get so far from the plan that you must work it into your life again?

So glad you took action. Do not gain it all back. You see the problem---now work on fixing it fast. best of luck

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The problem with weight watchers is it is based on a flawed premise...
That too many calories and a lack of exercise are the reason we gain weight. Science just doesn't support it no matter how many times it is repeated.

I strongly recommend reading "Good Calories Bad Calories". It is hard reading at times since it is targeted to grad students, but it outlines the beliefs we have about nutrition, where they came from and how they are horribly horribly wrong.

I don't think I could ever do the no carb thing. I go a bit nutty without something. I get really grouchy. maybe it's sugar withdrawal.
It is sugar withdrawal. Carbs work on us like heroin and has been shown to be about as addictive.

And it is LOW carb, not NO carb. Even if you just ate meat, you would still get some carbohydrates.

dried & ground wheat for pancakes, lacto-fermented oatmeal. Those are our quick breakfast foods. I make up a bunch of pancakes when I get the urge to make them, and freeze what we don't eat.
I haven't been brave enough to try sprouted wheat. It may be different than how regular wheat acts on my body, but I am not willing to take that chance just yet. Maybe when I hit my goal weight. That would be a good experiment. Until then, I make my pancakes out of almond meal :drool

For example, take apples. Apples don't spike your blood sugar as much as applesauce does. Applesauce doesn't spike your bloodsugar as much as real, no added anything apple juice does. Real applejuice doesn't spike your bloodsugar as much as the crud with high fructose corn syrup does. The closer to its normal form your fruit is, the better it is for you & the less likely it is to spike your sugar.
While this is all true, depending on the individual body, switching from juice to a whole apple might not make much of a difference. For me, the spike still happens, but instead of it happening in 5 minutes, it happens in 20. Same result though.

It all depends on how much damage has already been done and your individual carbohydrate tolerance. My recommendation is to go without these high carb items until you lose the weight, get your blood sugar under control, your blood pressure comes down, etc. Once you are healthier and more stable, you can slowly introduce these items one at a time and see how your body reacts. I "fall off the wagon" occasionally and the reaction is VERY noticeable. Inflammation, weight gain and bloat, and high blood pressure. The only carby food I have reintroduce that doesn't cause me problems so far are sweet potatoes.

What about fruit? I LOVE fruit, but my low carb books say it's got got natural sugar, therefore high carbs, stay away. I really like to munch on baby carrots. Those have lots of carbs too? right.
Fruit really IS nature's candy. Remember those old ads? LOL

To start with you do need to avoid them unless you have some berries. They are naturally low in sugars. Once the weight is down, etc... try reintroducing them.

Reaction score
okiegirl1 said:
What really sucks (and I have guilt about) is she's been in remission from brain cancer since last November. She's been fighting it since she was 8. I always wonder if I did this to her by giving her all the crap when she was younger. I'll never know, but I often wonder.
Oh man, don't do that to yourself. Almost every kid in America lives on crap. Some metabolize it better than others. I have 8 kids and they have all eaten their share of crap. 3 are biological, 2 of those are overweight. They share my genes. 5 are adopted, 1 of them is overweight. The other 3 are skinny and they all eat out of the same pot. I do blame myself for the fat one being fat. If we would have given them carrots when they started crying instead of cookies they may not have gotten fat.

I'm sorry about your child's cancer. I hope she stays safe.