Low carb eaters.....

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
WW was great in I could eat anything I wanted, I just had to count points. I could chocolate cake all day if I wanted to, I just couldn't have very much because it's so high in points. I ate a lot of those WW meals because it was so easy to count the points. I had oatmeal with berries and coffee for breakfast almost every morning. THen a WW frozen meal for lunch, a WW snack cake, then for dinner an entire bag of frozen veggies and some toast and then a bag of popcorn.

see lots of carbs, but the weight came off. Then I got bored with it and started not counting points but still "watching" what i was eating. The weight started coming back really slow, and it depressed me, so I ate. I know, counter productive, but my MO.:idunno

I'd really like to learn a better, more family friendly way to lose weight 'cause my family didn't want to eat frozen WW meals all the time.

But maybe I should go back for awhile.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
If you have to go back don't do the points, do the "CORE" plan. It tells you to increase your selections of protein-rich foods and LGI veggies. If you shop from your "core" list you can eat as much as you want until you feel full. I lost 35 lbs years ago and pretty much kept it off.

Knowing what I do now though, I wouldn't do WW b/c they encourage fat free everything along with the "core" plan and I think that is the stuff that will kill you. I do like the idea of eating more good quality protein rich foods and LGI veggies etc. But now I also eat whole full fat butter, cheese and dairy products instead of the fat free, fake crap.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh you were relying on frozen WW meals and all that.

yea, do what BBH said....I know WW has plans for real foods. Just re-learn how to cook true delish meals and count those points.

It is a better way to eat obviously. See LA Weight Loss I did said I could easily eat frozen meals and all that stuff----but I chose to cook out of the cookbook and make meals that the whole family could handle. LA Weight Loss didn't push low fat foods etc. They recommended cooking healthier meals in the cookbook along with eating just real foods.

I lost tons of weight fast and no one suffered in the house.

So maybe re-checking the WW plan that involves real food change is the best.

best of luck finding that new good system

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Right FarmerChick,

I cooked all of those meals for everyone in the family. Nobody noticed and there was plenty to go around for left overs, school lunches etc.

They were pretty healthy too, all lovely veggies, fish, chicken and beef...except for the fat free stuff that is, but you can change that. Looking back it was mostly low carb and unprocessed too.

My friend who hates veggies did the "points program" and lost tons of weight too, but she gained it back as soon as she stopped. I didn't. I think it was b/c she wasn't eating healthy just less. I ate more but healthier. The core program has more lasting effects.

O.G. this program worked for me, but I have moved on to Nourishing Traditions so if you want my cookbook I would be happy to send it to you. :)

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The sad part is I KNOW what I should be eating & not eating.

Lots of veggies, low fat protein (poulty, fish, very lean beef), reduced amounts of dairy & cheese, no processed junk, limited breads, natural sweets (honey) and mostly, portion size.

I just can't get it thru my thick skull. I shouldn't need a "program".

Oh and get off this computer and go work outside. Burn those extra calories. duh!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well okie I hear you. motivation to stay on track is hard. heavier type delish foods are everywhere, every single bit or lick or taste sure counts in the calorie count, and our American portion sizes are huge and our eyeballs think it is OK for the tummy to eat that much in one portion.

It is hard.

For me, I knew what I had to eat. I knew what I could eat and lose weight. I knew if I ate X or Y food that the weight wouldn't come off----so it is a long term game.

I say game cause I give and take each day. I lost that weight and I won't put it back on come he11 or high water..LOL. So for me if I do eat heavy like spaghetti and bread for dinner---I am sure to eat very light before and nothing after.

You KNOW what you have to do. NOW you go find out how to do it and stick with it..LOL

and yea, with winter coming outside activity is harder. so eating better and getting back on track will definitely be a plus thru the season.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Lots of veggies, low fat protein (poulty, fish, very lean beef), reduced amounts of dairy & cheese, no processed junk, limited breads, natural sweets (honey) and mostly, portion size.
NO NO NO NO!!!!
:he

Low fat protein will leave you feeling hungry. Your body needs natural animal fats.

DO NOT reduce your dairy and cheeses. DO NOT eat low fat dairy and cheese either. The low fat versions are loaded with fillers that are basically starch and sugar based.

Honey is not much better than table sugar. Switching honey for sugar is still going to mess with your blood sugar and insulin levels.

No processed junk? Got that right. Limited breads? Yeah, but for starters you want to cut them out all together. SERIOUSLY

Bread = sugar
Rice = sugar
Pasta = sugar
Fruit juice = sugar
Cereal = sugar
Potatoes = sugar

There is a free program at this website...
www.fitday.com

It lets you track nutrition info on all foods. Just enter what you want to eat (or have eaten) and it will give you the nutritional break down. You want to eat BELOW 60g of carb per day. Do not count calories to start, do not freak out over the fat grams for now, just look at the carbohydrate grams.

For every 50g of carbohydrates it is the equivalent of 1/4 cup of sugar. How many cups of sugar are you eating per day?

You can exercise until your legs fall off or cut portions until you make a religious faster jealous of your convictions, but neither will do you a darn bit of good until you stop trying to live on sugar.

Sugar spikes blood sugar levels. A raise in blood sugar triggers insulin release. Insulin is a FAT STORAGE hormone. It removes all that sugar from your system by stuffing it and trapping it in your fat cells. Since your body relies on free flowing nutrients in and out of those fat cells, trapping everything in the fat cells means nutrients aren't available to the body. So guess what happens? YOU GET HUNGRY AGAIN even after you just ate.

This is basic biology. If you don't get the biology, you can try all kinds of things to lose weight and you may just make things worse. (Like a low fat diet. Low fat diets actually cause long term issues like tissue damage, gall bladder problems, thyroid problems, hair loss, etc...)

The best book that explains low carb eating and how it is how our bodies were designed to function is "Natural Health and Weight Loss" by Barry Groves. Another good one is "Protein Power Life Plan" by Mike & Mary Eades. Until you can get those books, here are some very informative sources that are free on the web.

What Really Makes Us Fat
Why most of us think exercise will make us thinner and why we are wrong
What if its all been a big fat lie?
Dr. Jay Wortman's Story
What's wrong with politically correct nutrition

Sorry if I came off as harsh, but this is a topic that gets me riled up. The misinformation we are fed is dangerous to our health. I know it screwed mine up for years.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You deserve a hug!

I'm gonna do a little readin' on those sites. Maybe I've been doing it wrong all this time.

Thank you!:clap:hugs

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Thanks for the hug. I have calmed down now.
:gig

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
do you eat things like oatmeal, brown rice and whole grains?