Low carb eaters.....

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Question,
when ya'll low carb, do you eat all the veggies, meat, cheese & eggs you want? just no bread, rice & potatoes?

I lost 50+ pounds on weight watchers, but I ate lots of carbs. Now, about 2 years later, 30lbs of it are back. It was really hard. I can't decide if I should go back on WW or try the low carb thing. I'm still buying all my meat (come on spring) so my gro. bill will go up.

My hubby would love if we did the low carb. He is pure caveman. Meat, meat and a side of meat with cheese.

I know there are a gazillion websites on low carb, but what do ya'll do?

-Angela :caf

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Uh-oh!!! You just opened a can of worms!!! :lol:

Quick! Hide!!!! :hide :gig

:pop (,<--carb)
oh... oops!

is it the whole veggies vs meaties??
or the what is better for your body?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
No, this should turn out to be an interesting thread. Low or no-carb work for some people, others are very happy and healthy eating their carbs as part of a balanced diet. (me!)

I can't wait to see what info will be broght to the table. :)

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I guess I consider my family to be lower carb. We didn't eat tons of them before, and we've cut down more so recently. Also, when we do eat carby foods, we try to make them as healthy as possible. NO cheetos, for instance :sick
Sprouted &/or laco-fermented grains have become fairly popular to replace the normal breakfast cereal & for making tortillas or flatbread. Cooking soaked oatmeal is FAST!
I've finally gotten my sugar addict DH to let me gradually cut down on the amount of sugar in our tea & coffee.

I figured my best bet was to eat as close to the way my grandparents did growing up. Grandad stayed slim & trim until mass produced foods became available. Granny too. Their kids however, who were raised on formula instead of nursing, & were fed more processed foods, every one of them but my mom could be classified as morbidly obese.

Reaction score
I've given up on diets. I've tried them all I just don't fit in the 5% of people that loose weight and keep it off for more than 5 years. I'm going to have my stomach removed instead.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I low carb. I eat full-fat dairy, fresh veggies, nuts, meat, and occasionally dark chocolate and low sugar fruit.

I started it out of desperation. Calorie restriction, low fat and exercising like a crazy person did NOT WORK and my blood pressure was sky high. Imagine my surprise when my weight dropped like a rock and my blood pressure dropped down to what it used to be when I was a teenager within months of starting low carb.

Since then I have done a LOT of research. Turns out the dietary recommendations we have been given for the past 30 years are total crap. They are based on ego, deception, stupidity and wishful thinking.

The WORST culprit is Ancel Keys. It was his 7 Nations Study in the 50's that led to the belief that saturated fat causes heart disease. The problem is that there was data available from over 20 nations when he did his study. He conveniently ignored the data that didn't fit his hypothesis. From that one flawed study we were told to avoid saturated fat.

HannaLee

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been researching low carb, also. I'm sure I'll learn lots on this thread!

I am trying to focus on being lower-carb, too. I used to make a big pot of oatmeal for breakfast, then serve sandwiches for lunch and have rice or potatoes and corn with dinner. Now I try to serve sandwiches only on days we have eggs for breakfast, two veggie sides (no more corn) with dinner and the starchy carb sides only a couple of times a week, rather than daily.

I do think whole grains and beans are important to the diet, though, so I am torn with the low-carb 'teaching' of eliminating these. We haven't any digestive issues associated with carbs, so it's tougher for me to accept they are bad, I guess.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
Sprouted &/or laco-fermented grains have become fairly popular to replace the normal breakfast cereal & for making tortillas or flatbread.
Does that mean granolaish stuff? I LOVE granola, but it's gonna take some getting used to for my hubby and daughter
noobiechickenlady said:
I figured my best bet was to eat as close to the way my grandparents did growing up. Grandad stayed slim & trim until mass produced foods became available. Granny too. Their kids however, who were raised on formula instead of nursing, & were fed more processed foods, every one of them but my mom could be classified as morbidly obese.
yeah, but my grandparents worked from sunup to sundown. i sure don't. I could if I had more gumption. yep, everyone in my family is very overweight to morbidly obese. i just don't want to turn into that.
Not knowing any better, my daughter was raised on processed stuff and she's having a very hard time with her weight. It's like pulling teeth to get her to eat right. I'm at a loss at what to do.
Like last night, I make black beans and brown rice. Lots of veggies, chunks of smoked pork, pretty spicy. Hubby and I chopped up cilantro and YUMMY! DD turned up her nose and wanted cereal. I told her, this is what we're having, eat it or starve. So she ate the tinest bit and was "so full, I can't eat anymore".

I digress.......

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't think I could ever do the no carb thing. I go a bit nutty without something. I get really grouchy. maybe it's sugar withdrawal.

What about fruit? I LOVE fruit, but my low carb books say it's got got natural sugar, therefore high carbs, stay away. I really like to munch on baby carrots. Those have lots of carbs too? right.