lupinfarm's journal: a pretty little wilderness

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here is Luna this morning with her spiffy new blanket... this was taken after she went for a canter around the field.

luna_blanket_feb09.jpg

farmfield_feb09luna.jpg

We actually had to go and trade in her 63" blanket because it was too small! She's a 66", cause her butt is so big LOL, turns out she has some great muscle under all that butt hair... I gave her a good look over today and she has filled out nicely since Christine got her and even a bit since we got her.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Luna does seem very happy, she did a couple playful little bucks yesterday and cantered around for a while. She gets all perky and excited when we come to feed her three times a day (breakfast, lunch, dinner) as she usually gets some apple slices or apple snacks. Yesterday she got a carrot with her meal chopped up and she pulled the carrot bits out, ate her grain, and then ate her carrot for dessert LOL. It snowed a early this morning, and she didn't seem phased at all. She's found a great spot to sleep at night, sometimes the sleeping infront of the big tree by the road (as a wind block) and sleeping in the middle of her hay pile (she also likes to sit in it and munch away on hay while sunning herself LOL sounds like the chickens!

Today i have to go to the hospital as my mum thinks i have strep throat (it's going around at school) and so i've missed two school days this week because i'm getting sick which sucks (i hate missing school because i never know what's going on when i get back). We're also getting our feral cats from the Toronto Humane Society today! ... They're city feral cats that the Humane Society picks up, neuters/spays, gives all their shots, etc. And because they can't be placed in homes they called us and asked if we wanted a couple of feral cats for our barn, all they require is that we provide them somewhere dry and warm to sleep and a bit of food. We have half a plastic dog crate with blankets and a weight sensitive heat pad in the barn, plus barn cat food.

I can't wait to get them !.. Also I got an email yesterday from someone who has goats, they won't produce as much milk as a nubian but he has nubian X boer doelings. He keeps the more boer ones and sells on the more nubian ones. Mum just wants even non-producing goats for our first couple just so we can get used to them, so we're hoping to get two or maybe three from him when they're ready to find new homes in April.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
WOW! I logged onto the OUAC website only to find out that I have been accepted to Trent University for English Literature! I'm not sure if I'll be able to go next year unfortunately as I haven't raised the sufficient funds yet.

Also, the barn kitties are here... Spots and Smokey because one is spotty and the other is smokey-ey. And Luna is doing great! We also seem to have found somewhere to get two goat doelings for April, they'll be three months in April but the lady said we could come visit them and she'd handle them more to get them used to people, they're Boer/Nubian crosses but they lean more to the Nubian side, we're not really concerned with milk production as they're going to be pets more than likely LOL.

Also mum's bestfriend and my old riding coach (same person LOL) is coming back to Ontario from Alberta for a few months to stay with us and we'll be putting more fencing up this spring. Costing it out already!

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Uhhh... I've been dying and itching to get back into horse back riding since the day that I gave up in 2004. This past fall we went to look at horses for me and we took a look at an 18hh Belgian mare, I rode her and felt so at home in the saddle despite the fact that the saddle I was in was for someone far smaller than myself [very uncomfortable!]. Way too poor to pay for riding lessons and far too rusty to feel comfortable buying my own riding horse right now, I decided to contact a local riding school about a Working Student Position at their barn, where I would turn-out, do stalls, feed, help with lessons, and help with trail rides in exchange for riding time and a lesson. There are obviously other working students, but this is the dream position! I get to ride and I only work on Saturdays.

H'ANYWAY in other news, I cemented in one of the posts for the picket fence, my dead blackberry is actually alive, and there is fruit on the raspberries and the wild raspberry by the chicken coop. I'm moving all of our wild berry bushes to a berry patch by the orchard. I totally just ate home-grown broccoli, the meat chickens are 5 weeks old, mum gets paid this week [i.e. puppies are going to their forever homes this week!].

I cleaned the chicken coop and meat bird pen this morning, the little EE girls adore me and all wait to be petted :)

Latest posts