Made my own peanut butter

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
About how much salt did you add? Is there a recipe that you followed? I might try doing a little research on the net to find out about adding the peanut oil. Do you have any idea how long it will keep. I am sorry for throwing all these questions at you. It's just that I am so interested now!! What a cool project. I can't wait to learn so I can share this with my kids!!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I did not really measure the salt(I use sea salt). But it was probobly at least 1 tsp. I was thinking abut starting with 1 tsp of the oil & going from there on the next batch. Which I will use the full 8 cups of nuts as ds wants some crunchy too. I put it in the fridge so I am sure it will have a pretty long shelf life in there as most do. Not to worry about the questions. Isn't that why we are here to learn new things & share our knowledge when we can? I was just so proud of myself for doing this I had to share. Now off to the shower I go to get ready for Church.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
HM
what is the shelf life considering there are no chemicals in it to preserve it for an eternity..LOL

just wondering...in the fridge? or on the shelf after for homemade?

incredibly simple by what you said, I didn't think it would that simple. cool

you know I will be trying it. Tony and Nicole love PB, me not a fan either.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Not sure what the shelf life would be in the pantry. I did put mine in the fridge(it's almost gone already:gig ). I was going to see if I could find a way to can it & put it in the pantry though. Then I can make a big huge batch of it & not have to worry about it for awhile. But I don't really want to put it in a bath canner or pressure I don't think. ANyone? I am open to suggestions.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I went back and read all the way thru this 3 times. Since I love this idea I want to make sure I have this right.
Your peanuts were "roasted, organic, unsalted"? Correct

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would take this information and call your local extension office and they should be able to fill you in if this is a safe method for canning PB
I found this on the net.
As with all food made without preservatives, it will have a short shelf life. You will definitely have to keep it in the refrigerator and use up within a couple weeks. Or you may can it. (To can it, fill clean, mason canning jars full of the peanut butter, leaving about an inch of space at the top. Simmer at 180 degrees for one hour in a water bath container.

If the oil starts to separate and rise to the top, just turn the jar upside down.

I will keep looking

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
2dream said:
I went back and read all the way thru this 3 times. Since I love this idea I want to make sure I have this right.
Your peanuts were "roasted, organic, unsalted"? Correct
Correct, the great thing was they were already shelled too! I ordered them from Azure Standard a organic/natural food distributer our buying club belongs too. They are located in OR & deliver to us once a month. They deliver in quite a few states actually on the West & SW area.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I was hoping to be able to avoid cooking it like that. An hour in a water bath seems like a long time to me. I do understand because it is a thick substance it would be harder to get to the center to process it all the way thru. Thanks I appreciate the info.