Made my own peanut butter

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
A few months ago I bought 30lbs of organic peanuts. I still had some peanut butter in the fridge so I just put them in a 5 gal bucket(with a gamma seal lid) & stuck them in the pantry. Well we have been out of peanut butter for awhile now & the other day I finally pulled out my food processor & my peanuts & salt & whipped up some butter. It is dry but good. I think I will try to find some organic peanut oil & add a little but of that to the next batch. 4 cups of peanuts made a pint canning jar full. And the cost came out to $2.60/jar:ep I can't buy organic PB for that in the stores.
The kids went nuts over it(no pun intended) & ate it right down lickity split. So now i know that a worse case scenario with my homemade bread & PB we will be eatting for a while!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
OOOOh, peanut butter cookies, homemade reece cups, peanut butter & banana sandwiches

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
All of the above & I have a recipe for a PB cake & a PB & choc pie too. Ummm making my own mouth water now.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
WOW---I want a spoonful. I bet it is delish. Nothing like fresh "anything"---a little dry so add a little peanut oil. smart!

I need to make more things like this. I wish I had more interest in baking, cooking, processing, etc. It is all I can do to make myself freeze and can some stuff...LOL

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
WOW---I want a spoonful. I bet it is delish. Nothing like fresh "anything"---a little dry so add a little peanut oil. smart!

I need to make more things like this. I wish I had more interest in baking, cooking, processing, etc. It is all I can do to make myself freeze and can some stuff...LOL
I love to cook most days. But my main motivation is making sure my children have the best food to eat that we can afford to feed them. Which I know you want for Nicole too. And I guess I should throw Don in there too. LOL And if I grow it or make it from scratch then I know they are getting the better food. Believe me there are days I have no desire to cook anything & my children are saying "Mom I'm hungry" or in DD's case "I hunry". So I have to cook something.:th
A lot of peanut butters in the store have hydrogenated oils in them & I try to avoid them(oils) if at all possible.

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My boys LOVE peanut butter and I never imagined it would be that simple to make. Is it really that easy? Did it gum up in your processor. I think of it as very thick and sticky and bsing impossible to clean. Am I making it harder than it is?? Maybe we could try it. I could see my youngest son LOVING this project!!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I measured out the 4 cups(1/2 of the maxium allowed for my machine) put the salt in & turned it to the recommended speed. It takes a little while(few mins) before it starts to get mushy but then it is fine. I used a scraper to get it out & no problems. I soaked my parts for a few mins in hot soapy water & the leftover residue came right off!:clap
You could do it in a blender too they say. It really was that easy & my kids LOVED IT :weee
So since I bought 30lbs we are in PB for a long time now. I am only allowed to eat it once a week according to my urologist. PB is not good for people with kidney stones & guess who has them!!:thun

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We go through alot of PB here! My kids eat a jar a week and it is not cheap! It sounds like I might be looking into making my own!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I got the roasted unsalted peanuts for mine. Oh 1 tip that I am going to do next time wait until you are getting PB to put the salt in. By putting it in with the nuts it kind of scattered it around the bowl rim while chopping up the nuts. So I had to add a little bit more later & it mixed in smoothly.

edited to add: Now I just want to figure out a way to can it so I can make a huge batch ahead of time & have it as we need it.