Made my own peanut butter

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Thinking about shelf life....I know honey is a good, natural preservative and wonder if you added a bit of it to the PB if it would give you an extra week or 2? It might also add a different flavor, not that its needed, lol.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I mix honey into my peanut butter all the time because I LOVE honey, I eat it just about every day. Not sure about shelf life but I make a container and add the honey and usually ground up salted/roasted peanuts to make it chunky and have left it on the counter for up to a few weeks with no problems depending on temps in the house :)

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Does it change the flavor when you add honey to it? I would imagine it would make it sweeter though, right?

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It makes a creamy sweet flavor, I guess what you would expect flavor wise :) It was something we always did as kids for toast and I still love it!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Maybe instead of peanut oil, I could try honey & that might take away the dryness. Thanks I will be making another batch in the next few days & I might try that with some of it & see how it does. Or I might make 2 batches 1 in my processor & 1 in my blender add oil to one & honey to the other & do a blind taste test on my family & see which one they like the best. I can always use the oil for baking & cooking with.