Make-Your-Own mixes

Tutter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thank you! :)

I started doing this long ago, and what I do is wait until I'm going to make something anyway, such as a scratch cake. Then, as I make it, I line up containers to store, and a mixing bowl.

Let's say that I need 2 cups of flour for the cake. I put 2 cups in the mixing bowl, then I put 2 cups in each of the jars/baggies etc. that I have lined up. At least 4.

Then I do the same with all other dry ingredients, such as salt, baking soda, sugar etc.

Label the containers with the name of what it is (dark powders start to look alike, and you want to know if it's pudding, or a cake, at a glance.), and the rest of the recipe. Such as how many eggs to add, how much oil, and what temp. to bake at.

Now put the 4 away while your cake is baking, and you have an instant mix for the next 4 times you make cake. And you didn't take everything out a separate time, like cups and measuring spoons, bags of flour and sugar. :)

I do this with cake mix, puddings, cornbread, etc.

For spices, I make chili powder, corned beef spice, and such. I would do taco spice by taste, but just because I have a very sensitive sense of taste. I'll say that something has a little orange zest in it, and dh wants to know how I can tell. :p Once you play with it a while (Don't make a large batch at first; start one meal at a time. Add a little at a time, using actual measuring spoons, and have a notebook literally next to the spoon. Whenever you add, jot it. Later translate it, ignore the spatter spots, and copy neatly. :D ) and it seems pretty good, realize that if the do use MSG, you can add a little sugar, which is a flavor enhancer.

Obviously too much will ruin the recipe, but don't be afraid to add a bit at a time (jotting all the while!) until it tastes better to you.

Eventually you might decide that without is good, as well, but in the meantime, a bit of sugar will flavor enhance many foods. :)

Also, always have a pack of what you want to replicate, and copy the ingredients down. You'll want to not leave any out, and remember that they are in order of amount. Whatever the first ingredient is, is what there's the most of, all the way down to the last ingredients.

Good luck, and have fun; and thanks again for the recipes! :)

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix
6 tsp chili pwdr
5 tsp paprika
4 1/2 tsp ground cumin
3 tsp onion pwdr
2 1/2 tsp garlic pwdr
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp salt
Stir together and store in air tight cont. Use 2 - 3 tbsp of it in place of the store bought mix.
I might try this tonight

EweSheep

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Anyone got pancake mix recipe that I can just add water?

Its getting expensive buying those just add water pancake mixes in a jug for camping.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
EweSheep said:
Anyone got pancake mix recipe that I can just add water?

Its getting expensive buying those just add water pancake mixes in a jug for camping.
Tutter--I do that also with pancake mix :) Doesn't it work great? It's like most of the work is getting out all the ingredients anyway, so once you're there the rest goes quickly.

EweSheep: I have a wonderful multigrain recipe, but it calls for eggs and buttermilk. Is that something you would be willing to take along camping? I'm sorry, but I don't have a just-add-water recipe... Allrecipes.com is a great site for finding stuff like that.

Ozark Hen

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
thanks for sharing these recipes. I always like to read the ingredients and make my own without all the additives. Great recipes!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

EweSheep

I just buy the store brand "add water" only mix....alot cheaper. Then I bag what I need to make pancakes. You can add jams or whatever to change the taste of course.

I googled "dry mixes" and all at some point say to add eggs etc. to the mix. Havent found one without yet????

the one in the jug is alot more expensive, heck we can create our own jug, but I add water to the bag and just mush it up and voila, pancakes..LOL

hope that helped a little for you.

I am a camper.....Love it!!!

Karen

EweSheep

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Powdered eggs and powdered milk might just do the job!

Now I gotta find the recipe, for sure!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I had posted these on BYC, but someone mentioned pancake mix, so i thought I would post these here.

Home made recipes.... Here are a few of my regulars....
Instant Oatmeal mix-raisins and spice

10 cups quick or minute oats
2 1/2 cups powder milk
2 1/2 cup raisins
1 2/3 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup cinnamon
1 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/4 teaspoon salt.

Mix together, scoop portion and add boiling water to your preferred consistency. (this recipe can be reduced. i think I quadrupled it b/c we eat it so much.

Pancake mix
12 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cups sugar
4 cups powder milk
2 tablespoons salt
3/4 cupsbaking powder

Mix together
To used, measure 1 1/2 cups mix, one cup milk or water one egg, and two tablespoons cooking oil.

Cream of "whatever" soup mix

2 cups powder milk
1 cup flour (or 3/4 cups cornstarch)
2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup chicken soup base
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon thyme

combine 1/3 cup mix with 1 1/4 cup water.Add 1/2 cup finely chopped veggie of choice. Cook, stirring over medium heat.

Rice mix
2 cups rice, (I use brown rice)--NOT minute rice!!
1 cup broken speghetti noodles
1/4 cup parsley
2 teaspoons onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
6 tablespoons chicken soup base.
Boil water, add rice mix with 2 tbsp butter until all water is absorbed.
1 cup mix to 2 cups water, 2 tbsp butter

I times this recipe by 10 and keep it in a big container and just scoop out what I need