Make your own spices and spice mixes!

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am looking for ways to make my own spice mixes. Everything from taco seasoning to cayenne pepper or onion flakes. If you grow the plant how do you process them? How to store it?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I grow and dry most of my own herbs, but we don't use a ton of different types: basil, marjoram, thyme, sage, lavender, parsley, rosemary, dill, garlic etc. Have also grown a plant called curry that smelled and tasted a bit curry, but it's my understanding that curry "spice" is actually a mixture of several herbs/spices. I dry my herbs in a paper bag in my car on a hot summer's day.

Spices like cinnamon (bark) and cumin don't grow here as far as I know so I buy them.

Taco seasoning is mostly onion, chili powder, and cumin plus onion--I don't buy it ready-made.

I don't use cayenne but I do make my own hot pepper flakes (dehydrate hot peppers then grind in a spice or coffee grinder) and dehydrated onion bits (chop onions small in food processor and then dehydrate)--do both of these things OUTSIDE or your house will be unlivable!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There are numerous sources of spice mix recipes, on the web and in books. The problem, for SS types, is that many/most spices are not easily grown in North America. I grow many herbs, but I buy spices - either from Indian or Mexican markets, or online (Penzeys is my usual resource). Buy your spices in their whole state and they will last for quite a long time if stored cool, dark, and dry. I buy them by the pound, and have kept some for several years with no problem. I keep them in opaque jars, and/or in a dark cupboard. Get a small coffee grinder to grind as needed. The only spices that I buy already ground are turmeric and mustard - though I also buy mustard seed, and turmeric root, when I can find it. Buying spices/herbs in bulk (by the pound) is much cheaper (per ounce) than the little jars in the supermarket.

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
here is one sight that has a few spice mixes

http://www.budget101.com/frugal/seasoning-mix-recipes-198/

i grow a few. basic herbs..but, short of that..i get some when i am in town at an iranian store source...i prefer getting them in whole branch dehydrated form.and grind myself so..I am assured i know what it is...
i keep mine..in canning jars...

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i buy my spices in bulk at the big amish store and keep them in ziplock freezer bags in the freezer. have had my cinnamon in there for about 3years and still good, taco and chili powder for @2 and still good.

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well its sold with the spices but I like to make my own vanilla extract. Its the best. I use the beans afterward in cakes or custards. Pretty yummy and cheap. I bought vanilla beans online on Amazon and some vodka. I plan on making some with rum this next time too.

We also keep a bay bush( my mom says tree but I swear it looks like a bush) in our greenhouse and a lemon tree. So lemon zest and bay leaves. Also herbs that I prefer fresh like marjoram and thyme are kept growing in pots. In the summer we have more plants outside and will dry those. Before we had the heated greenhouse we kept the lemon and bay tree on our front porch. Not ideal but well worth it. All we do is hang our on the hot dry days or spread them out on a cookie sheet . They dry fast when temps climb. We course chop and into glass bottles they go. My mom has herb bottles that are 40 + years old that we still use.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
moolie said:
I grow and dry most of my own herbs, but we don't use a ton of different types: basil, marjoram, thyme, sage, lavender, parsley, rosemary, dill, garlic etc. Have also grown a plant called curry that smelled and tasted a bit curry, but it's my understanding that curry "spice" is actually a mixture of several herbs/spices. I dry my herbs in a paper bag in my car on a hot summer's day.

Spices like cinnamon (bark) and cumin don't grow here as far as I know so I buy them.

Taco seasoning is mostly onion, chili powder, and cumin plus onion--I don't buy it ready-made.

I don't use cayenne but I do make my own hot pepper flakes (dehydrate hot peppers then grind in a spice or coffee grinder) and dehydrated onion bits (chop onions small in food processor and then dehydrate)--do both of these things OUTSIDE or your house will be unlivable!
Yeah, confusingly, both the plant name and the eastern/indian style of spicing food are homonyms. I blame the Brits.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Making your own vanilla is SO much less expensive and SO much better flavor as well. I make all my own mixes from scratch and grow several herbs as well, though due to work I have not been doing it lately :/ But now that i am unemployed I can do it again :woot I like to add cilantro to my taco seasoning too to give it a more authentic mexican flavor. Ya'll should try tossing some in, it makes a big difference! :)

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A couple/three years ago for Christmas I bought my DH a huge bottle of Maker's Mark. He had tasted it at a friend's and coveted it. Well, he hardly ever drank any of it, so I started using it for making vanilla and Bailey's Irish Cream. The level is going down pretty quick now!:D Does make some great vanilla tho!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
If he likes Maker's Mark he should really try Glen Livet.

Oops that was off topic :hide I had no clue whiskey made good vanilla. NEVER try gin to make it :sick