Make your own spices and spice mixes!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
There is no vodka too cheap to make vanilla extract. How to make it? For 3 beans, I'd put it in a pint of vodka. You slice the beans lengthwise, place them in the vodka, and shake it twice a day for the first few weeks, once a day for the next two weeks, and whenever you think of it after that point...I usually forget. It will take a few months for it to "make" which will give you time to use the rest of any storebought you may have lying around. Some folks say 6 months, i have used it as early as 3 months. It does have better flavor the longer it is allowed to sit though. you'll want to keep it stored in a cool dark place while it makes. Mine is in my cabinet to the left of my sink.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Vanilla extract made with bourbon or rum tastes better than with the clear alcohols like vodka ;)

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I used 12 beans sliced down the middle for an old swingtop wine bottle full of cheap vodka. Had it for a couple years now and when I use it down about a cup or so I just add more vodka. Got mine thru vanilla products usa and am thinking about buying more in bulk and make up a few more bottles for me and some for family.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I finally remembered why I wanted to post on here today! I had read thru it and remembered what I bought at spices of India store this fall! Whole cumin seed and while I dont' know how well it will work I did test ten seeds and they all sprouted so I know that they are very fresh and I will be trying to grow them here in MI this summer.. They do say longer season than I have here so I will try starting them in the house with my tomatoes. I'll try to remember to let everyone know how they do as the seeds themselves look quite a bit like caraway and anise and I've grown them both to seed stage in my garden before.
(does anyone else have that problem.. read thread go to post and totally forget all you wanted to respond to?)

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Emerald said:
I finally remembered why I wanted to post on here today! I had read thru it and remembered what I bought at spices of India store this fall! Whole cumin seed and while I dont' know how well it will work I did test ten seeds and they all sprouted so I know that they are very fresh and I will be trying to grow them here in MI this summer.. They do say longer season than I have here so I will try starting them in the house with my tomatoes. I'll try to remember to let everyone know how they do as the seeds themselves look quite a bit like caraway and anise and I've grown them both to seed stage in my garden before.
(does anyone else have that problem.. read thread go to post and totally forget all you wanted to respond to?)
Nope I am bad at spelling so I usually open a small window where I run Word to write my reply or post, run it through the spell checker, Copy there and Paste here. That way works best for me. ~gd

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
~gd said:
Emerald said:
Nope I am bad at spelling so I usually open a small window where I run Word to write my reply or post, run it through the spell checker, Copy there and Paste here. That way works best for me. ~gd
Your browser should have spell check built right in, you just have to find it and turn it on.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ThrottleJockey said:
Your browser should have spell check built right in, you just have to find it and turn it on.
Ditto here, if I mis-spell anything in a post it gets underlined in red, then I can just right-click on the word and choose the correct spelling from a list of possibles. :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
If I have trouble spelling a word, I start typing how I think it's spelled up in the internet search and it will always come up w/the correct spelling for me. :lol:

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ryder said:
i buy my spices or herbs in large at the big Utility store and keep them in ziplock fridge purses in the fridge. have had my nutmeg in there for about 3years and still excellent, taco and soup powdered for @2 and still excellent.
That's a good idea -
and welcome!